• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Southwestern US

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I have been revisiting several images that I worked in the years past.
Here is a few from the Paria Plateau, very surreal formations of Ancient Shorelines and petrified sand Dunes.

White Pockets

_MG_7261

_MG_7279

Thank you for looking, feedback always welcome
Shawn

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wow, so colourful..:))

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Wow, so colourful..:))
Many of these Desert terrains have such beautiful color in their rocks, when the light is right, they become luminescent.
Thanks for the comment.

H1ghlander

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Incredible rock formations. Could spend a lifetime photographing that area.

Pete Larkin

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Quite dramatic strata and colours. Well captured. Agree with Scott - so much to choose...

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Incredible rock formations. Could spend a lifetime photographing that area.
I have lived here for 15 some years now and still cannot get my fill.
There is always wonder and amazement around just around the corner.

Quite dramatic strata and colours. Well captured. Agree with Scott - so much to choose...
For many of those 15 + years My wife & I would choose an interesting location and travel on the weekends.
Do some hiking and picture taking.
Choices seem endless for sure.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The colors and patterns are beautiful. Nice shots!

Sundar Amartur

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful capture. Colors are so brilliant. Like the composition of #1 with the lone tree in the foreground.

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Wonderful scenery.

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Love shots 2 and 3, wonderful colour palate and the rock formations are captivating.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You may not have the history that the Uk has, but you sure do have the geology .... great images Shawn

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
The colors and patterns are beautiful. Nice shots!
Thank you David.

Beautiful capture. Colors are so brilliant. Like the composition of #1 with the lone tree in the foreground.
The Colors become amazing as the sun begins and ends. Otherwise, if you google images White Pocket, the colors in the day are "Nice", but when the sun gets low, that's when the rocks begin the Show.
Wonderful scenery.
Thx Balami
Love shots 2 and 3, wonderful colour palate and the rock formations are captivating.
This place is called "White Pocket" for a reason, Much of the lighter sandstone is actually very white.
Luckily, the low trajectory of the sun warms these whites beautifully, and they take on a the surrounding glowing colors.

You may not have the history that the Uk has, but you sure do have the geology .... great images Shawn
We certainly don't have much of an architectural history like Europe, But we have had some pretty amazing "Freak Show's" take place in the distant and recent past to create such wonders.
My next desire is to tour and photograph the Washington State Scablands created by Massive Ice Age Floods. Truly spectacular.
Once I learned of these scablands, I have studied the Ice Age Floods of the NW for a few years now.
What happened there was truly a "Freak Show" that is incomparable to anything I have ever seen. This happened in our recent past where Humans actually experienced this catastrophe.

Thank you for the kind comments

Last edited:

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Have you made any trips to New England Shawn?

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great formations, and you are so lucky in the western states, so many natural wonders

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Have you made any trips to New England Shawn?
I have never "Officially" been, but have passed thru on a few occasion.
I would love to get out there during the color change of trees. Our Quaking Aspens and Cottonwoods are impressive when in color, but have nothing on NE.
Great formations, and you are so lucky in the western states, so many natural wonders
They never get tiresome, no matter how many times I've seen the same "old" formations, they are always impressive.
It is amazing to me that many who have lived their entire lives here in AZ, look at the desert as a bunch of rocks and cactus.
I'm glad I'm a transplant. I also think I look at things a little differently than most.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have never "Officially" been, but have passed thru on a few occasion.
I would love to get out there during the color change of trees. Our Quaking Aspens and Cottonwoods are impressive when in color, but have nothing on NE.

They never get tiresome, no matter how many times I've seen the same "old" formations, they are always impressive.
It is amazing to me that many who have lived their entire lives here in AZ, look at the desert as a bunch of rocks and cactus.
I'm glad I'm a transplant. I also think I look at things a little differently than most.
We have to fly 10-12hours to get there so we love it all. We have good stuff here, but the scale is just immense over there. Just the roads between places are generally at 5000 foot ASL. There's nowhere in UK that high.
We don't have hoodies, layers like painted desert and below, or all the features carved by the Colorado river, the slot canyons, and so.
Even just travelling between sights is amazing. First visit to grand Canyon we drove for an hour through the remains of a forest fire. Nothing in UK is an hours drive long. (apart from bloody traffic - but I'm talking 50-60miles)
A few of us on the forum have visited, none have been disappointed.
I've been twice with the same people, (two who have passed away now) but Ray in his 80s who did NOT enjoy the first drive to antelope Canyon has been twice and would love to go again. I would do it again too.
Tho I'd prefer to go hiking to lesser known less mental ones, and places like the wave too. So much for you guys to see!

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
We have to fly 10-12hours to get there so we love it all. We have good stuff here, but the scale is just immense over there. Just the roads between places are generally at 5000 foot ASL. There's nowhere in UK that high.
We don't have hoodies, layers like painted desert and below, or all the features carved by the Colorado river, the slot canyons, and so.
Even just travelling between sights is amazing. First visit to grand Canyon we drove for an hour through the remains of a forest fire. Nothing in UK is an hours drive long. (apart from bloody traffic - but I'm talking 50-60miles)
A few of us on the forum have visited, none have been disappointed.
I've been twice with the same people, (two who have passed away now) but Ray in his 80s who did NOT enjoy the first drive to antelope Canyon has been twice and would love to go again. I would do it again too.
Tho I'd prefer to go hiking to lesser known less mental ones, and places like the wave too. So much for you guys to see!
My concerns are that I post too many images, I have so many. My hope is they are enjoyed by those who have never been to the SW.
Most of my images are taken on weekend excursions with my wife over the last 15 years.
Rarely do I get to wait for the light to get right, due to several hours hike/drive out in some places. So, I take what I can get at the time that I am there.

Sounds like you went to the North Rim of GC, elevation is about 8300ft. South Rim is 1000 ft lower. The NR is much less traveled/visited, Approx 1 mil visitors a year vs South Rim 7-10 mil per/yr. It is heavily Pine forested in contrast to the South Rim Desert. There was a terrible fire on the north side some years ago outside of Jacobs Lake. That is a tremendous drive filled with Eye Candy. You drive right by the Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness area, Paria Plateau turnoff that gets you to The Wave, Coyote Buttes, The Teepees, etc...Go the other way and you are at Lees Ferry, Navajo Bridge.... I could spend months in that area. So many Places, So little time.

Going to the "Old Standards" is nice, but usually crowded. I have in the past, visit forums that specify the Southwest, Find some amazing scene where I've never been, and figure out how to get there and photograph it. That gets me away from the Drama of the crowds. That process got me to places like Coal Mine Cyn, or The Blue Cyn. Finding directions like, Go down Hwy 160 to the little gas station in Red Lake, take the dirt road behind the station, Go down this dirt road for 20miles until you see the windmill, turn right on that dirt road for another 30 miles and you should see it.... The whole time you are hoping you are on the right dirt road that seems to lead nowhere.
Some real adventure.

My wife has a trip planned to Glacier NP in Sept I think. This is where I have a hard time with the crowds.
I will be looking to get off the beaten path, find something interesting. I am willing to brave the crowds if the image is worth the trouble.

Thanx again for the comments Steve

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Never think you are posting too many images. Loads of us here love to see them.
We've done both north and south rim on different trips. We had sunset on both as it happens. But the first time, North rim we did on a Friday. We were just getting motels where we were. Except all of USA was doing the same around grand Canyon on a Friday. It was 2am before we found a motel we would stay in, and I think it was in flagstaff!

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Never think you are posting too many images. Loads of us here love to see them.
We've done both north and south rim on different trips. We had sunset on both as it happens. But the first time, North rim we did on a Friday. We were just getting motels where we were. Except all of USA was doing the same around grand Canyon on a Friday. It was 2am before we found a motel we would stay in, and I think it was in flagstaff!
Flagstaff is a long way from the Rim. But it is a great jumping off point.
Go north, headed for the north Rim, 3hrs
Go West, headed for the South Rim, 2hrs
Go South and you are at my house...LOL. 1-1/2hrs
The crowds always make these destinations a challenge. Both Glacier NP Lodges had a one year waiting time, Same for the cabins at the North Rim, 6 months wait for vacancy. I feel your pain. I hope it was a successful trip, lots of pleasures.
Shawn

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yeah was great and yes we drove many miles looking for a room.
Followed that 8 day Road trip (out of a 2 week visit) with two further 3 week 4000+ miles ones, one well documented here

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
All very good...love the textures.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
these look WAY better on my calibrated Dell than they did on my phone!

SC PHOTO

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
these look WAY better on my calibrated Dell than they did on my phone!
I'm glad to hear that! On another thread I was critiqued about over-working the images.
That made me a little self conscience about my post workflow. I don't want to post images of a beautiful desert,
I want to present the Beautiful desert in all her Splendor, with-in the limitations of my abilities.
Thanx Steve

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm glad to hear that! On another thread I was critiqued about over-working the images.
That made me a little self conscience about my post workflow. I don't want to post images of a beautiful desert,
I want to present the Beautiful desert in all her Splendor, with-in the limitations of my abilities.
Thanx Steve
I think you need to go to these places to appreciate it's really like that especially with good light.
When I first edited my antelope canyon images I thought white balance was adding in purples among the oranges and reds so I was trying to reduce it, Doh!!

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots, those rock formations are amazing.