1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Starlight effect

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by rebel06, Dec 12, 2016.

1. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have an image with over 70 Christmas light on .. and I want to add a Starlight effect (starlight brush) to them .. .is there a way in photoshop that could do it in one go rather than doing it 70 times

Paul

2. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Not really. How long will it take ? 1 - 2 seconds per light is 3 mins or so. Not a lot of effort really Paul !

If you do it on a layer above then just use a slight blur on it the it will do all the light spots at once.

rebel06 likes this.
  3. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm not sure about PS, but in my editor I use the custom lighting effect and choose starburst. That does every bright point in the image at once.

rebel06 likes this.
  4. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Pete .. .its not a problem really ... just wondered if this could be done

Thanks Roger .. .I'll look into that

Roger S likes this.
  5. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @rebel06 Paul, you will need to make the star brush the same colour as the lights and put on an outer glow of that colour and change the blend mode of the light brush layer to linear dodge (I think ) then drop the opacity. It makes it look more realistic.
    Long time since I have done this so memory might be faulty.

6. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @oldgeezer Thanks Pete .. .have found .. .Topaz star effects .... 30 day free trial .... just had a play and does exactly as I wanted ..... you can add the effect to every light then brush away those not needed .. .it gives a bigger effect to brighter/larger light sources .. . and it uses the hue of the source so adds the correct colour flare ..... looks good

Snips and oldgeezer like this.
  7. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok tried it on thjis image of 5 candles and made the effect on the outer two to show the effect.
    candles.jpg

Electra and Snips like this.
  8. Snips

Snips Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Very good, Paul. I spent some money this morning buying their Remask jobby - I'm fed up of renewing my free month's trial :)

9. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I find their Remask filter wonderful .. . does a great job

10. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    One of the closest plugins I've seen compared to actually using a dedicated star filter on the lens is the Scarab Labs Star Filter; that costs more than buying a dedicated star filter for the lens. Demo version has a watermark and modifies the image somewhat if you're not careful.

There is also this, https://www.photoshoptutorials.ws/downloads/photoshop-actions/star-filters-photoshop-actions/, just trying it out now and it seems a good but not perfect representation, but in the free version (without watermarks) will create up to an 8 point star (as stated on the website but in the version I've downloaded to noodle with 12) without needing the registered version. It's not the fastest tool in the box, as it's doing a lot of complex (and I think the test image I threw at it made it struggle a bit), requires a Photoshop that will do smart objects and the like (so as a minimum CS5) with a decent processor/RAM combo. For what it throws out for the price, it certainly is useable and worth having a look at, as a filter of this nature (same as the ones for putting in front of the lens) are by their nature something you'd use sparingly or surreptitiously.

rebel06 likes this.
  11. lookmore

lookmore New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Fastest way is to select the star filter effect on the camera. Well if it has one. Just discovered it on mine today and it might come in handy for Xmas.

But wrong forum to post about that here I guess...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  12. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @SeanNeedham thanks Sean .. .downloaded and tried that action .... not bad .... question though ... should I add the starburst to the reflected lights in the water as well????
    s1 (2).jpg

Paul

SeanNeedham likes this.
  13. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    From an artistic perspective, that's entirely up to you; from a physical (real world) perspective you might catch a flare off the occasional reflection depending on the motion of the water (like specular highlights in waves), but for the most part I've never personally seen it on a longer exposure image.

With a bit of playing with that action this morning, best thing I've found to do with it is before hitting the action is to go around the bright points with the lasso tool or the circular selection tool (set to add to selection), then "Select->Transform->Expand" by 10px, then "Select->Transform->Feather" by 5px (though depends on image size and bright spot size); then save that selection under "Select->Save Selection". Then when the mask thing pops up, just do the "Select->Load Selection", check invert and hit ok. Then hit it with a global black paint bucket tool (it's a lot easier than the mask implementation as it is in the action itself).

And then when finished, selecting the group header in the Layers Palette and then changing it to say, Screen, Lighten or Lighter Colour (depending on image, needs experimenting) and then jigging around with the Fill/Opacity Slider.

14. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That sound good Sean ... I notice it darkens the image before applying the effect, problem is it doesn't re-lighten it after so the finished images is darker than the original making it difficult to mask out unwanted flares with a layer mask and black brush if you see what I mean.

15. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yeah, that's where modifying the group blend mode helps. Changing that to screen/lighten brings the effect back to the same global brightness as the underlying image, so toggling that group on and off after only shows the change in the effect not the dark/bright balance. The opacity slider on the group that will change the intensity of the effect making it more natural (hell, I can't believe I've just used the word natural to describe a star filter).

It's an ok little action, not one that I think would get a hell of a lot of use, but for a general user perhaps a lot better than keeping a stock of 4, 6, 8 and 12 cheese filters in the kit bag (I'm probably the only person here with at least one of them filters in my kit bag)

16. Garry Spight

Garry Spight Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    An option all you need to do is shoot about f8 and above and the lens will do it for you automatically

17. lookmore

lookmore New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yep. Doesn't work all the time for me though. I guess the results can vary with factors like lens make and size of the light sources.

18. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @rebel06 I just found this Paul. Not sure if it would work with your photo but it certainly has given me a few ideas.

19. rebel06

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Pete .. .so thats another method to think about ..... but would only work with lights of the same colour.

20. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That video is just a manual version of that action; all these star burst actions I've looked at in this, that's all they seem to be in PS, just rotated motion blurs. It's just how the brightness values and things are treated that either make them look like what you'd get off a filter or just a painted on star.