1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

'Sticky' zoom lens

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by mwclarkson, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwclarkson

mwclarkson Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    So I bought my first ever zoom lens (I only got 2 prime lenses with my 5D) off of eBay. It's a 35-70mm Minolta and it seems to work OK, but it sticks at when trying to zoom in - sometimes at around 50mm and sometimes at around 65 I've yet to get it to 70mm. Sometimes it just feels a little 'tight' as you turn the collar but it still stops short. If it feels 'stuck' it also refuses to focus, and once or twice I've thought the way the focus bit that moves out looks slightly lop sided (cross threaded?), although most of the time I think it looks fine. Maybe paranoia by now!

I'm guessing the mechanism is worn out or damaged somewhere inside but wanted to check I'm not missing something obvious before I complain. I only paid £15 for it, but I didn't want a 35-50mm lens that 'usually' lets you focus!

2. chaz

chaz Old Hand Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    The lubricant in the helicoid has maybe dried out.

3. mwclarkson

mwclarkson Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes
    Is there a cheap/simple way to fix it? Or do I just accept it won't get any better?

Edit:

On further investigation it'll focus from 1.6ft to ∞ quite happily at 35mm.

I have managed to get it out to 70mm but only sporadically, and then it will only focus from close range to about 5ft, anything further then the mechanism is too stiff for the AF to go any further, and trying on manual it makes a loud 'click' if you twist the collar past that point. suspect helicoid is, indeed, dry.

Bugger.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.