• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Storm in a Teacup ***** (and a challenge)****

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As the title says ...... Inspired by a magazine article I came up with this.
siatc.jpg

Last edited:

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cool concept, can't help but think some spilled tea or coffee/foam would add to the shot. Make it seem like the storm was not quite contained in the cup. :)

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Cool concept, can't help but think some spilled tea or coffee/foam would add to the shot. Make it seem like the storm was not quite contained in the cup. :)
That would have been a good idea, shame I didn't think of that.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I love the concept, but as already mentioned, a bit of overspill would work great here.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I love the concept, but as already mentioned, a bit of overspill would work great here.
Just playing about with PS on a rainy day .... didn't spend to long on it.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

breeliz

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You have to get the storm to follow the contours of the cup! It's doable but may take some time unless you are a post expert.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You have to get the storm to follow the contours of the cup! It's doable but may take some time unless you are a post expert.
Like I said it was a quick play, not to be taken too seriously .

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
To be convincing some effort has to be put into its creation. Its a round cup and whats inside should have that round feeling, A roaring sea would have waves over the side. Its a cool idea but just not done very well. And Im not taking it too seriously at all. Im only saying you get out what you put in. How about a challenge to see what others can come up with. I can think of a few ways it could be accomplished.

Haripaul

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good idea and gives you something to work on another time.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
To be convincing some effort has to be put into its creation. Its a round cup and whats inside should have that round feeling, A roaring sea would have waves over the side. Its a cool idea but just not done very well. And Im not taking it too seriously at all. Im only saying you get out what you put in. How about a challenge to see what others can come up with. I can think of a few ways it could be accomplished.
Ok here is the challenge, see what you can do.
cup2.jpg

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Always like a challenge and I've never tried one of these before so here is my rather poor attempt. Water spray is not fun to select.
cup2.jpg

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice one Ryan, it's both fun and frustrating at the same time .... lol

breeliz

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The shape of the cup is an ogee. There should be some shading at least at the point where the top of the ogee starts to flare out. It is that variation in shading that needs to be translated to the image overlay. The kicker is that is curves around. So let's see some transparency and show that ogee.

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Had another play ...... any better?
cup4.jpg

breeliz

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
See that darker area to the right and behind the waverider? Continue that darker area around the inside of the lip and angled down into the cup. Go to the point where the water would be starting to overflow the cup. The water level behind the rider is below the cup lip and goes down about to the ogee curve beginning. The water in front is flowing over the cup. So get that area in back and to the left looking like the water level is lower as it appears at the right and you have it!

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You are very welcome to edit my image to show what you are talking about as you lost me somewhere along the line.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Im pretty busy this weekend but I did spend 6 minutes on this. Its not good by a long shot but it demonstrates how there should be some kind of 3 dimensionality to whats inside the cup. It shouldnt just look like a pic pasted inside. The cup should look like its holding something and not like a picture frame. Im glad you posted this because it can be challenging and a lot of fun.

teacupcomp.jpg

breeliz

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Rebel06 Look at Paul's image. He has the idea. But what I am talking about is the shading of the ogee curve and you can see it quite well in another part of the image. Look at the front of the cup just under the lip. There is an elliptical band of shadow where the ogee curve flares out. It begins again where the ogee curve flares in at the bottom. That is what I wanted to see in the overlay... some gradation that shows that curve so it shows that it is in the cup. Note that what you see in front on the outside will likely "flip" for the inside.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Did you mean something like this breeliz?

teacup.jpg

breeliz

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This is like an OOB....Out of Bounds. Image goes out beyond the frame and looks very 3D.

breeliz

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Once you get this right Rebel 06 I predict that you will win an award for the waverider in a cup image. You have the reflection down there under the waterfalling. It is a very subtle detail. The whole idea is very artistic and creative. It's just matching the overlay to the container so it is convincingly IN the cup following the contours of the cup and then flowing out.

This is like an OOB....Out of Bounds. Image goes out beyond the frame and looks very 3D.
Weird that it doesn't display on the screen. Please email it to me at breeliz@verizon.net

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Paul Mitchell

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Rebel06 Look at Paul's image. He has the idea. But what I am talking about is the shading of the ogee curve and you can see it quite well in another part of the image. Look at the front of the cup just under the lip. There is an elliptical band of shadow where the ogee curve flares out. It begins again where the ogee curve flares in at the bottom. That is what I wanted to see in the overlay... some gradation that shows that curve so it shows that it is in the cup. Note that what you see in front on the outside will likely "flip" for the inside.
You are on the right track but the shading you are talking about wouldnt show on the water. The water has covered over the cups curving shape and so would just appear elliptical. However, whats missing on the water is the rflction of the edge of the cup on the back side. It would have to be completely created and not by flipping and rotating a piece of the actual lip and pasting.