• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sunlight in studio

Studiowartenber

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Attachments

Last edited:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello and welcome to the forum. I would like to ask you to either post a link to the original photographer of this image or remove it. We are very adamant about everyone's copyright being preserved.

Thank you.

Studiowartenber

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hello and welcome to the forum. I would like to ask you to either post a link to the original photographer of this image or remove it. We are very adamant about everyone's copyright being preserved.

Thank you.
Hi there! Sorry about that, I added the link right away!

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's done using a gel over a flash that's fired through a gobo.

A quick search on YouTube will show you how.

Studiowartenber

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's done using a gel over a flash that's fired through a gobo.

A quick search on YouTube will show you how.
Thank you! I couldn’t find the Dutch word for it, but Gobos worked!

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You're welcome - I'm glad it worked.

There's not much that you can't find a video on with YouTube. Just watch out for the sponsored ones that are promoting stuff for sale. ;)

Studiowartenber

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You're welcome - I'm glad it worked.

There's not much that you can't find a video on with YouTube. Just watch out for the sponsored ones that are promoting stuff for sale. ;)
Thank you!! I had a shoot last week, and tried the color gels and shadow techniques. I eventually learned it Lindsay Adlers tutorials on YouTube!
I’ll attach the photo’s. Curious what you think of the results!

Attachments

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Well done. I prefer the b/w shot.

As you will have noticed, moving the gobo closer to the model sharpens the shadow. I think you've got it just about right here. :)

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm not overly fond off gels especially when it's on the face, but that's a personal preference. Overall they both look good, with the B&W being my favorite.

A Gobo is something attached to the light to shape it. Cookies (short for Cucoloris) is a device for casting shadows or silhouettes to produce patterned illumination, and is placed some where between the light and the subject. Many lump them together as the same thing but they aren't. Cookies can be divided into three groups: hard cookies (made from metal, wood, or similar material), soft cookies (made from translucent material) , and brancholorises or dingles (tree branches). Cookies can be incorporated into the scene, like the blind in this one.
2020-12-04_06-47-35.jpg
Or can even be attached to the lens of the camera, to create some interesting Bokeh as seen here. https://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh/

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ha, yes very true. I used the term loosely as that's what most on YouTube call them. :)

Cinefoil is worth having in the studio; you can shape it to whatever you like and cut holes in it so you can use it as a gobo or a cookie - I use it for both. In a lot of cases, you can just get away with a bit of foam board or aluminium foil too.