1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Sunset vs sunrise

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by saurabh01, Sep 6, 2018.

1. saurabh01

saurabh01 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi
    This might be unusual question, but like to know what you like wheather sunrise or sunset. Somehow I feal sunset gives more drama than sunrise. What's are your experience ?

2. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sunrise, any day!

Trouble is that it takes much more effort - but when made, that effort is rewarded.

Sunsets are the lazy person's way to a dramatic sky.

imo :D

saurabh01 likes this.
  3. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sunrise definitely is the best; the air is a lot cooler and clearer, a lot less haze, depending on the time of year mist patches in lower areas or along the rivers and the skies are usually a lot more interesting as well. Problem is with sunrises, I'm usually looking at them out the window of a bus or in a truck stop somewhere.

saurabh01 likes this.
  4. saurabh01

saurabh01 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Y
    Yes agree on haze but the color vibration not sure. The mist add more interesting thing in view.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2018
  5. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sunrise, easily. I prefer the cool, clean air and, if conditions are right, the fog, mist and frost. Crisp, winter mornings are the best of times. Also, if you get a good morning then you’ve the whole day in a good mood to look forward to.. :) It’s why I dislike summer so much - sunrise at stupid o’clock.

saurabh01 likes this.
  6. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Sunrise too but it comes with more chance of failure. Heading towards sunset you can guess from looking at the conditions if there's a chance of a half decent sunset. You can arrive early and scout out for the best compositions and be ready as things happen.

Sunrise is get up in the dark, tiptoe around trying not to wake anyone, have no clue if the conditions are going to be favourable because it's pitch bkack, arrive in position in the dark and madly dash about as it starts getting light trying to find the best composition and then hope things work out.

I much prefer sunrise for the feeling of still isolation, better chance of calm conditions and better quality of light and less haze but it's much less often that I shoot a sunrise because it's much easier to fit a quick dash out in the evening into life than to plan and carry out a sunrise shoot.

7. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's the downer with them, the logistics... I can't remember the last time I specifically went out for a sunrise, I can't even remember the last time I did for a sunset either, or a straight landscape photo; it's all usually by-catch on something else now as in between the disappointing ones. Other part of it is I've got sick of yomping out somewhere, opening the kit bag and thinking "Now where are the filters/memory cards/whatever..." as the other half has (and since we got the new wardrobes fitted, got worse) a manic compulsion when she sees things to put them "in order"; so even if things are prepped the night afore there's no guarantee they'll be there a few hours later (caught her doing it again this morning at just after seven, looking for things in the weekend bag I packed last night to put in the washing machine; though I'll be buggered to think what part of a Nikon system or a laptop can go in a washing machine).

saurabh01 likes this.
  8. saurabh01

saurabh01 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree with you. It's give very less time to settle down and find the right location/place until-unless you already visited this place already. Might be i haven't witness of sunrise, i found less drama there. I wish i could take a photograph down the valley from a high summit with golden color and a bit of fog/mist.

9. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Wild camping is about the only way to achieve this and then it's almost complete chance as to whether you are sucessful but the experience is almost always well worthwhile no matter the outcome.

saurabh01 likes this.
  10. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    i think over all I prefer sunrise, i struggle to get up, but never regret when I do make the effort. There loads I like about them, the driving there in the dark and not knowing what will happen till you get there. yes there is chance to fail but that can be said at any time of the day. To try and mitigate losses I pretty much always scout the location the day before of its new to me, or go locations I know well allready. but working in the dark also adds some nice challenges. I love the peace and quite.

but that all said sunsets in my experience last longer, so you have more time work. and theres a lot to be said for running up to the hills on summers evening after a stressfull day at work, instant medicine.

i have managed to capture some stunning sunsets and never manged to get sunrises as good, but then I have driven to work when the sunrise is far nicer then some sunsets i have seen, so im not one is better then the other, just different. the light in better in the mooring in general. and its nice to carry on exploring after the sun has come up.

so yeah i guess theres not much in it but sunrises just win for me.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    saurabh01 likes this.
  11. saurabh01

saurabh01 Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Both are unique and give different feelings. Recently I visited to Acadia National Park and went to see the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain and thought would be peaceful but it was so crowed and parking was full L. Somehow manage it to just see it. But for sunrise you must invest more energy without any regret. On the line, I reached Portland (Maine) in the evening and hanged out at light house and was determined to shot the sunrise but I wake up late and missed it.

12. Evertking

Evertking Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    From my very little experience.. it pays to drag your self out if bed in the mornings. But it could have just been my luck but the mornings as I'm going to work are almost always better that sunset which I'm also awake for and watching.
    Too many variables but if you have a storm the night before and wake up early and head out with a camera, you very well may be meet with a beautiful and amazing sunrise.

Mike Singh likes this.