1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

sync. Lead socket

Discussion in 'Studio Lighting Forum' started by arteta, Mar 16, 2017.

1. arteta

arteta Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Right, just a little dilemma I'm hoping you can help me with. Below are two pics. One with one of my strobes. A lastolite lumen8 and the other is the various triggers i use. Problem I have is, only the trigger at the top I can use on the strobes (which came with it) because of the large sync lead socket port on the strobe. The others will all work on speedlites but not on the strobe

The yongnuo triggers at the bottom of the pic are okay but are pretty limited so I went for the radio Pocketwizards. Waste of money cos can't alter settings from camera, so bought the Yongnuo YN622C after hearing about them on here so these are what I use for off camera flashes. Control from the control trigger on hotshoe and ettl as well. Brilliant. But is there any way I can attach these somehow via some kind of adaptor to the strobe?

I did a shoot at someones house yesterday which the room was half conservatory and very bright. I had to use two speedlites only. One in the hilite BG and the other on near full power in the octobox just to overpower the ambient light. So recycling time was as you can imagine, pretty slow. Need to get these YN622C's on my strobes

thumbnail_20170312_111345.jpg thumbnail_20170312_111511.jpg

2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    A PC-Sync lead with a 6.35mm - 1/4" jack on the end; exactly the same cable as the one on the pocket wizard but just a bigger plug.

arteta likes this.
  3. arteta

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Great Sean cheers. I'm hoping there's something out there for the yongnuo triggers but I don't hold much hope

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's the only connection what I can think of, is using the pc-sync to terminal; I seem to recall from somewhere that one (if not both Nikon and Canon) versions of the 622 don't actually modify the power settings but it's some form of manipulation of the timings that the sync connection is shut for emulating the power output.

Without looking at the head in person and timing the sync connection, the issue could be in that; regardless of what you're trying to trigger the head with if that sync is just a simple on/off switch regardless of how long the timing is through it then whatever power manipulation you'd be trying to do between camera and head would be overridden by whatever the settings are on the head.

arteta likes this.
  5. arteta

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ahh right, with you. It's a pretty fairly basic head and perhaps in hindsight I'd have been better off going for one of the better makes. I did always wonder how these radio triggers could adjust the power settings on strobes. Every days a school day. Cheers Sean