1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Testing My Macro Adapter

Discussion in 'Macro Images Forum' started by JosephHuntley, Jan 12, 2019.

1. JosephHuntley

JosephHuntley Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well I figured I would stay in and work with my macro adapter today and work on my basic Manual Mode Skills. I think I took everything people have been telling me about my ISO settings etc and put it to good use.

TY everyone for all your feedback it is helping me set up for my low light conditions.

First Shot I played around wanted to do water drops but didnt realize had to be on top the water with the macro adapter so thats later.

I tried it out on my dirty hand from work lol it was hard holding camera still and pointing at my other hand.

Camera: Nikon D3500 DSLR

Low Light Indoors

23MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 450
    f/5.6
    1/60

Macro Test - 01.jpg Macro Test - 02.jpg

SharonH likes this.
  2. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Now I took that and set up a cool shell I got from somewhere during vacation many years ago.

The First shot was set In Aspect Mode and let the camera do its thing

The rest were in manual mode with me using settings based on all the feedback I have been getting I wanted to use the camera mode for reference

Shell-01 Aspect Mode let camera do everything
    23MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 2500
    f/3.8
    1/125

Shell-02
    23MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 200
    f/3.8
    1/5

Shell-03
    23MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 200
    f/3.8
    1.0 sec

Shell-04
    23MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 200
    f/3.8
    2.0 sec

Shell-01.jpg Shell-02.jpg Shell-03.jpg Shell-04.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    SharonH likes this.
  3. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    And for the grand Finally once I was happy with my settings I set up a shot for everything composition depth of field lighting etc

Please give a critical critique of the entirety of the photo as I been listening to what everyone has told me and think that I got it in this shot

Shell-05
    23MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 100
    f/3.8
    1.3 sec

Shell-05.jpg

SharonH and Mike Singh like this.
  4. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Joseph
    Good efforts. What macro adaptor did u use? Were you mounted on a tripod?

I think you need a wider depth of field, such that more of the shell is in focus. This would bring out the carvings. Try using an aperture of F13. Your exposure time will be much longer so you would need to be mounted on a tripod. Use either a remote shutter or the 2 second timer delay to prevent camera shake.

The background in the last photo is to cluttered and is distracting. Think about your background before you compose your photo. Your background should be fairly uniform.

JosephHuntley likes this.
  5. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks I was trying to get the Brokeh look in the last one and I intentionally wanted part of the shell out of focus with the main point being the 2 little ships. that was just after work last night so since off the next 3 days I will experiment more and open aperture etc. Ty for your feedback

oh and the camera was sitting on the table so that it was just the right height for the shots i wanted which were head on instead of top down. my tripod was in the car from this weeks night shoots

Mike Singh likes this.
  6. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  7. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Playing around today I tried this setting and I think looks nice

24MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 100
    f/14
    10 sec

Shell - 06.jpg

I also added the wide angle adapter to the micro (they came as one unit)

Looks kind of cool effect for a so so picture

18MM With Macro Adapter and Wide Angle Adapter Combo
    Iso 100
    f/3.5
    2 sec

Macro Test - 01.jpg

SharonH likes this.
  8. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I would suggest maybe placing some coloured material behind the subject for a nicer background. It makes a lot of difference and helps pull out the subject.

What lighting are you using? Might be worth trying to diffuse it a little. Lots of ways to do that from bouncing it off a wall to adding some material in front or you can buy cheap diffusers

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I just went to Walmart and got me some stuff we just had a snow storm and so I was working with what I had. But before I left I took one really nice photo of the bottom of the shell

24MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 100
    f/4.0
    1.15 sec

Shell - 05.jpg

SharonH likes this.
  10. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    so Understanding I have only had the camera a week so havent figured out about getting lighting as I am not sure how to sync it with my camera yet since the D3500 doesnt offer remote triggering and I havent gotten my smart phone setup to work with it reliably yet, I just threw this together on my messy table last night after work. Today I got some stuff from walmart to cover the table and the background.

But these are the 2 lights I am using
    my Fluorescent magnifying light facing upwards and my little desk light also facing upwards but it is adjustable to try and get some different lights. I should be able to diffuse the desk lamp pretty easily though.

just remember this is a toss together last night just to snap a few pics to stay on my 365 days of shooting track.

lights.jpg

Phill104 likes this.
  11. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Why do you need remote triggering? Are you talking camera or lights?

The D3500 IIRC has Bluetooth which allows you to remotely trigger the camera via Nikon’s app.

12. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    So I got my new Photo booth with new counter top and backdrop. I set it all up and things look better and less distracting. I also Used a sheet of Printer paper taped across my desk lamp to diffuse the light better. I think I got little better images this time. I Played around with all different light stuff and these the results. the second and the last one are my favorites

Shell-100.jpg Shell-101.jpg Shell-102.jpg Shell-103.jpg

Attached Files:

Mike Singh likes this.
  13. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yep, that diffusion looks better to me. There is definitely more detail in the subject as a result.

14. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a remote triggering setup supposed to do camera and lighting, however it doesn't work with this camera due to Nikon wants you to use your Phone. but if I ever need a remote flash I don't know how to trigger it in sync with the camera. But I am probably talking out my arse as I haven't even studied studio lighting yet just bored because bad weather and trying some things.

15. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Check your manual where it refers to "CLS". Your D3500 is equipped to trigger any Nikon flash units which also support CLS. It's all built in.

16. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok thank you I will check into that. I know the shutter cannot be remote triggered other than with the Phone app as I wrote Nikon and asked. it is weird I would get a remote trigger for a camera that cannot use it lol

17. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree totally. My D50 is an IR trigger, my D200 is a cable trigger, and the D5000 goes back to the IR trigger. It's a pain keeping all the separate parts available when I have all 3 Nikons out for a walk at the same time.

18. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It does seem like a strange policy of Nikon’s.

19. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Joseph
    Your last set of photos are definitely better because you are also allowing the shadows to interact as well. It gives a more dramatic lighting. F14 has produced a crisper photo and more details as well.

20. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The background definitely helps!

There are strap on adapters that allow old mechanical cables to press the shutter button, giving a remote facility to practically all cameras. A phone app is probably preferable if you've got that working.

When it comes to lighting I think all my reasonable cameras (some compacts, antiques & the digital microscope are exceptions) have some means of firing an external flash, a hot shoe is normal, but some vintage models are via a PC socket. Either way this can be used via a cable for remote flash(es) if desired and will trigger the flash when the camera shutter fires. With my DSLR & MFT systems the external cable I use support TTL control, simplifying exposure - be warned each camera manufacturer has their own version of TTL they are sadly not compatible.

21. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Guys I did get this weird thing with my kit I have no clue what it is but it has a screw like it goes to the bottom of my camera and a small strap to me it almost looks like a weird wrist strap

DSCN0710.jpg DSCN0711.jpg

22. Roger S

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yup! It's a wrist strap.

23. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Man I wouldn't trust it as it just screws in over the day if it works loose naw I will keep my neck strap TYVM lol

24. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ok so this is the last shoot playing with my macro I took it off gonna try me some water splashes in low light.

I know I am getting better, though not perfect yet but better when out of 10 shots I only culled 2 should have been 3 but I kept it for practicing in post to see if can clean it up better.

Final 3 Shots

25MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 100
    f/14
    5.0 sec

21MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 100
    f/14
    5.0 sec

18MM With Macro Adapter
    Iso 100
    f/14
    10.0 sec

Misc-02.jpg Misc-03.jpg

Attached Files:

Mike Singh likes this.
  25. JosephHuntley

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well today I guess is the day I put all my Knowledge together. I just got this invite on facebook

Here is another ***FREE*** photo opportunity and networking get together. This is a open invite for photographers and models. Invite your friends and family. Join us as we meet at down town Moline Illinois. We will meet at the corner of 15 st and 5th ave. From there we can spread out or travel in a group and create some awesome art! Shooting along the streets and alleys, sidewalks and storefronts. We will meet and have a brief introduction and then go do our thing which is to create beautiful images. There will be volunteer models on hand to shoot. This is a great way to meet other photogs and models. Sharpen those portrait skills and practice working with models while creating some artistic works. All photogs must make available all pictures to those model volunteers as a way to thank them for their time.
    Never been to a meet like this? Don't worry, you will fit right in. These are loose events. Come and go as you like. Photogs and models of all skill levels will be there wit the same purpose. To create beautiful art and network with each other.
    All photos must make available digital copies for models. Just a way of saying thank you for donating your time.

So I may have a chance at some really nice photos and maybe some tips from professionals. I just need to go out and get my camera settings set up before the shoot. since we got 4" of snow last night there will be an abundance of light so I will have to compensate