• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

tethered shooting on Canon 450D(Rebel XSi)?

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
I'm planning a shoot soon and I'd like to connect the 450D(Rebel XSi) up to the laptop so each time I take a shot it comes straight up on the screen full screen until I take the next.

Anyone done this, and with what software?

I've seen Brian do pretty much this with Lightroom3, but I was hoping not to need that.

Does one of the Canon supplied apps do that?
I only shoot RAW normally though will shoot both if jpegs can be displayed and not RAW.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Piece of cake just use a USB cable I connected 2 together you can get complete control of the camera with EOS utility just select control camera after installing the canon software you can view the images after taking them on the pc plus change any settings on camera remotely through the interface

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
ah cool, thanks Paul. it should be installed on lappy. I only want it to display not have any control.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
I installed zoom browser and EOS Utility

the eos utility controls the cam and the images are loaded into Zoom browser took this in raw you can maximise the display by closing info windows on zoombrowser

Fullscreen capture 10012011 234320.jpg

Fullscreen capture 10012011 234544.jpg

Fullscreen capture 10012011 234646.jpg

Tezz450D

Old Hand
looks like I need to find my canon software...I didnt install the software when i got my camera, figuring the in house software would be fine...didnt know you could do this tethered shooting though...most useful...thank you

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
thanks Paul. I should have EOS utility installed on the lappy.
Will do a test run first!! :)

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Just make sure that your battery is fully charged. the eos utility can be also be used to register info into your camera such as your name and post code.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Just make sure that your battery is fully charged. the eos utility can be also be used to register info into your camera such as your name and post code.
ah yes a handy side effect. I'll look for that at the test run :ok:

freeopinions

I have a AC cord for my Nikon which I use when I shoot tethered. Indispensable. You can just leave it plugged in and never worry about a battery going dead.

scw02102

Old Hand
I used my 450D(Rebel XSi) like this on a shoot. I used the built in canon software the camera came with

then used a VGA cable to my 50" plasma.

Bang every shot was backed up to my laptop as well as a big screen to check for detail

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
I used my 450D(Rebel XSi) like this on a shoot. I used the built in canon software the camera came with

then used a VGA cable to my 50" plasma.

Bang every shot was backed up to my laptop as well as a big screen to check for detail
that's exactly what I want though without the 2nd screen and now I want to do it with a 5D Mk II instead.

Artemis-Rose

Always on
I used my Nikon like this whilst doing a secret santa shoot.

Think my boyfriend's mac automatically just recognised the camera and use one of the Mac's programs to back up and view the images.

I