1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

The end of Flickr?

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by Phill104, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just got news of the big changes to Flickr. I reckon this will drive a lot of people away.

Minor things are the changes to Explore which in essence means those with Pro accounts will be featured while those with free will not.

The biggest change however will be to those with free accounts. Instead of 1TB storage, you will be limited to 1000 images or videos.

To read about the changes details can be found here - https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/

I wonder what will happen to those with over 1000 images, will they just delete loads and how will they decide what to delete.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’d guess you’ll be notified about exceeding the image limit and be given a grace period to download your stuff. I’m sure the potential for negative feedback will stop them just culling stuff without warning.

Reading the link I think it’s fair enough. FlickR used to be great - lots of communities and groups and it was a good place to get feedback on your photos. Hopefully the changes will get it back to how it was. 1000 photos for free is pretty generous I think

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  3. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do too. I was a latecomer to flickr in part as I am part of the Coppermine Gallery team so self hosted my images. The community does seem to have died off a lot, comments also seem very lame. I prefer honest critique but the etiquette on flickr seems to be to not critique at all, instead it is a place to go for just an ego boost. The current layout also means I miss a lot of great info and images from friends, something else they need to look at.

4. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    In the post they do remind you that prior to 2013 you were limited to 200 photos on a free account. Still, storage is cheap. This move combined with the increase in fees for grandfathered Pro accounts makes them look like scumbags.

Phill104 likes this.
  5. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  6. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm ok for the moment as I have 630 images on there.

7. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have 1067 images

I could see they had to change logins, that was obvious. Moving to AWS seems a big move too.

As for the pricing, it might be time for me to drop Flickr. I have enough subs to pay, it is getting too much. Lots of seemingly small subs soon add up. Netflix, Prime, Adobe and quite a few more as well as my wife and kids mobile phone accounts, SkyQ and lots of other things and I am loosing track of everything. Time for some rationalisation in my house.

8. Derekl

Derekl Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have over 7,000 photos up there. Thet will start deleting images of non pro members with over a 1,000 photos early Feb next year.
    I am a little reluctant to go pro so looks like I have a lot of downloading to do. Might go pro for 1st year as it has a 30% discount.
    This might be the motivation to create a decent website for my photos.
    Shame that all my historical image posts on forums will vanish. Photography forums could be hit by this and look a mess with numerous unlinked images.

9. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    that's sorted took but a few clicks to delete the lot...........i do have my images elsewhere so no biggie

DonS, tenchy and Phill104 like this.
  10. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Bit drastic but I see why.

11. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nah not really just means one hard drive less copy of my stuff

12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had nearly 1200, but after pruning the ones still held as private I below the 1000 limit.

I like their reasoning for the changes - just hope it works out!

13. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do think a lot of people used it as an easy way to slap images on forums and other sites. There are for instance plugins for Wordpress, Joomla and the like that pull I ages from Flickr. Many people simply use Flickr as a sort of cloud hosting to save on their own bandwidth. Maybe this is one of the reasons for the decision although those people will simply have multiple accounts now.

DonS likes this.
  14. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I seem to have three different free accounts, not sure how I managed that.

15. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is exactly the reason we prefer photos uploaded here. I managed a forum before this one and all of my images there were linked from my photobucket. Now that photobucket is no longer viable, that forum has thousands of blank posts and threads. :(

tenchy likes this.
  16. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    aha, now it becomes clear.

How did y'all get privvy to this? Did they send you an email? I've had nothing.

17. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    For me being with a free account it all gets displayed on the home page.

18. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Didn't know anybody still used it to be honest, I thought it had gone the vestigial way of Photobucket et. Al.

19. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What do people use now?

20. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I look at flickr practically every day, but have never bothered with the 'home page' My home pages would be the recent additions to the groups I've joined, followed by my photostream/camera roll & the photo streams of contacts...

Phill104 likes this.
  21. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Everyone

I have been using Flickr for best part of a decade now - went to the Pro side fairly quickly as it has NO advertising popping up and becoming bluddy annoying & distracting. For me the $A50 annually does not bother too much [I mean it's not too different from the 10 GBP for this site is it and look what we all get]

As all of my Flickr images are dramatically reduced in size to 800 or 100px, they are only qwik-flicks for those family & friends who want to see where I've been and what I've been up to - and for links into sites like this one

I do not engage with other Flickr users nor the puerile Fb-style 'likes' etc. ... I enjoy viewing good images & both receiving / offering feedback to fellow 'togs - so I will stay here and do all that while sipping my cuppa :)

Phil

SFTphotography likes this.
  22. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    1000 images is fine i will cut down on those accounts full of the same pics of cats over and over again. Quality of quantity is always a good thing

23. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Can't say I'm too bothered. Tending to upload more direct from PC these days and don't get involved in any groups on Flickr so they can hang for all I care tbh.

Phill104 likes this.
  24. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    it's taken me 7 years to put 644 pics on there so it'll take me another three or four to fill it up,might be dead by then.

25. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    No
    not going to effect me. I use it for limited social media side of things. there's a few I follow and who follow me. Nice to keep tabs of each others work. im pritty sure that no one will be bothered to look through 1000 images of mine, if I even manage to get that many on there. but really I think id rather keep my feed curated to only the better ones anyway.... so yeah no biggy for me.

this is my main place to share my work anyway and I direct upload here, so yes no worries, ill keep my free account going as long as the little benefit I have are still there.