1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

The Harbour Entrance

Discussion in 'Mono Images Forum' started by Snips, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    We've just been to Whitby for a few days and our cottage looked out on to the entrance to the harbour. Despite Hurricane Gareth's best attempts, the waves were quite small and a testament to the design of this entrance.

A first for me for ages - mono land/seascape and using a 10-stopper - not dug that out for ages. I find it's very much a case of trial and error using this filter, 78 seconds exposure in this case. I didn't have a cable release with me (didn't think of packing it) so this is in bulb mode on the camera (with tripod) using mirror lock up and pressing the shutter again carefully to finish the exposure.

Loads of processing and altering sliders in Lightroom trying to achieve something arty and pleasing to look at. I found dropping the clarity and raising the Dehaze sliders quite effective, the latter creating the two vertical shadows. (I've not marked the thread as such but am quite happy with critique or improvement ideas.)

90312-3083.jpg

DonS and LYNN GRIFFITHS like this.
  2. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    The only thing I'd do is crop out the sand in the foreground. For me it spoils the overall smoothness of the picture.

Snips likes this.
  3. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good composition and smoothness Edward .. like it.
    Would agree the sand in the foreground is doing nothing for it though.
    Paul

Snips likes this.
  4. steverob68

steverob68 Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Its a hard one as the sand at the front give it location/context. With that out, unless you go letterbox, there may be too much water which, although nice, has no point of focus.

Might have been worth taking a step or two backwards and dropping lower to make more on a feature of the sand.

Snips likes this.
  5. wraggtime

wraggtime Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Nice scene and well handled conversion to black and white, I also agree about the sand but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

Snips likes this.
  6. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you for the comments. I photographed this from 10 feet up off the beach but would like to think that if I was on the beach that I'd have made the effort of taking it from ground level.

With your thoughts I've tried a couple of crops (landscape and coffee mug). For my part I prefer the sand in the foreground but understand it's not everyone's favourite sort of composition.

1. (Widescreen)
    90312-3083-2.jpg

2. Coffee mug
    90312-3083-3.jpg

7. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nice Ed, much improved by the crops. Really like the processing to these, the water looks mint - for that reason the first crop is my pick of the bunch. :)

Edit: Actually, looking at it again. I don’t mind your original with the foreground - it adds another layer. Scratch the above....maybe. Lol. :D

Snips likes this.
  8. Tenorplayer

Tenorplayer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The second shot`s the best for me Ed. The last is too lacking in water and the first not lacking enouugh of sand ! :)
    Nice place Whitby , bit short of fish and chip shops though :)

Snips likes this.
  9. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you both - you always raise a smile on my face Rob - we tried "proper" fish and chips but unfortunately don't really like the batter. Second time we had scampi (breadcrumbs) and that was very good. Never seen so many fish and chip shops in one plaice (sorry!) :)

Tenorplayer likes this.
  10. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Taller crop for me. Nice effect and nice clean level horizon.
    Don't like batter?! :shocked:

Snips likes this.