• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

The Humble Robin

Paul-UK

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The Robin

Camera Canon D5 Mark 4
Lens Tamron 150-600 - f5-6.3

Global settings were
- High speed 7fps
- AWB
- Evaluative Metering
- Manual Mode
- AF Tracking

1 - Looking to the camera [Poser]

220511_A3164_Robin_1024_JPG.jpg

f/6.3 - 1/250 - ISO 500 - 600mm

2 - Looking away from the camera [Shy]

220511_A3172_Robin_1024_JPG.jpg

Same settings as #1 both images cropped.

I think I am starting to see improvements but I let you guys be the judges, suggestions and critique help us learn, fire away

It was a very overcast day though the wind had dropped, cloud cover was 75%

Iron sharpens iron

Paul

Electra

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think they're both beautiful and would be very happy if I'd captured these images :)! I'm a bit biased as 'the humble robin' is my favourite garden birdie!!

Do you edit? Perhaps try a bit of sharpening (1st photo)?

Lovely as they are, though!

Paul-UK

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you for your comments Electra,

The bird stations are about 6 feet from the rear fence, I take the shots from the sun-lounge which is a out 50 feet to the bird station, this doesn't help me get a background I would like, dof issue. We had two trees planted last year, these are near to the bird stations, it has really helped bring the birds in to the garden. The mulberry tree will be brilliant for the birds towards August, something to look forward to.

Photography is new to me, editing even more so. At present I am a cropper, I have done some spot healing but little more.

The Robin and the blackbird are my favourites, the birds, the colour, the song.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice shots. They do seem a touch soft, could be due to cropping?

Taboo

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Lovely colour and lovely shots! Not easy getting close enough then having to deal with shutter speed/movement/lens Aperture ect.

Paul-UK

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice shots. They do seem a touch soft, could be due to cropping?
Thanks for your comments David,

I did wonder whether to crop a little more but went with the diagonal branch in the background and the robin on the right hand third.

DOF was an issue with the 600mm lens, I couldn't get lower then f/6.3. Maybe I could get the f/stop down in number to tighten the DOF using a 300mm lens, I will have to try this, I realise the bird will be further away so sharpness of shot will be even more important.

I am still learning, considering where I can improve after each shot, hope my thinking is right.

Thanks again for your feedback, I am very grateful.

Paul-UK

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lovely colour and lovely shots! Not easy getting close enough then having to deal with shutter speed/movement/lens Aperture etc.
Thanks Taboo, all that thinking and the bird flies away. Guess you have all had that one.

It is frustrating, not stressful, it is a challenge that has rewards, (when the bird doesn't fly away ;) )

Taboo

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Thanks for your comments David,

I did wonder whether to crop a little more but went with the diagonal branch in the background and the robin on the right hand third.

DOF was an issue with the 600mm lens, I couldn't get lower then f/6.3. Maybe I could get the f/stop down in number to tighten the DOF using a 300mm lens, I will have to try this, I realise the bird will be further away so sharpness of shot will be even more important.

I am still learning, considering where I can improve after each shot, hope my thinking is right.

Thanks again for your feedback, I am very grateful.
Actually, if you close the aperture down more you will get a sharper shot. The Tamron 150-600 is sharpest around f8 to f9. Or at least mine is, although 600 is probably at it’s weakest. Of course you can then lose shutter speed which will then require good technique although I find the vibration reduction on this lens very good.

Paul-UK

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks for that tip Taboo :thumbsup: