• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Just Sharing The return of the jukeboxes

balami

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I haven't posted a jukebox image here for quite some time, so thought I'd load up a few with some trivia commentary.

The peak period for jukebox production was post-war, 1946 to the 1970s. For those models where you could see the record playing, most of them were phased out in the early 1960s, with a few exceptions.

Whilst there were many companies around the world making jukeboxes, four American organisations dominated the industry: AMi , Rock-Ola, Seeburg, and Wurlitzer.

Here's an example of each:

This is an AMi Continental 2 made in 1962. This was the model used in the pottery scene in the film "Ghost". Taken at a show in The Netherlands in 2017.

AMi XJ Continental 2 Rosmalen 2017 web.jpg

This Rock-Ola Tempo 2 was made in 1960 and featured in the UK TV show "Juke Box Jury" - albeit they removed the glass screen to avoid light reflections. Taken at a show in The Netherlands in 2017.

Rock-Ola 1485 Tempo 2 Rosmalen 2017 2 web .jpg

This 1952 Seeburg M100C is the model used in the first seconds of the opening credits for the TV show "Happy Days". Taken at a show in Brighton in 2017.

Seeburg M100C Brighton 2017 web.jpg

And finally, the one that everybody recognises, a Wurlitzer 1015, made in 1946-47. This is the best selling jukebox of all time, and around 60,000 were made. Most people would think that this was the common jukebox in the 1950s diners playing your favourite 45rpm single. Actually, the 45rpm record wasn't invented until 1949 and this Wurlitzer only played 78rpm records. A number of lookalike "tribute" jukeboxes were made in the 1970s which can muddle people's memories! Taken at a show in Brighton in 2017.

W1015 Brighton 2017 web.jpg

Last edited:

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great shots and your narration is fantastic. Thanks, John.

Taboo

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Great shots and history lessons. Thanks.