• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

The Stuck In Isolation Random Chatter Thread

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I know it, the caminito del Rey, equally as beautiful as scary; not too far from the village where the mother-in-law was born. You'll get chance to get over sometime, I don't think the rocks will go anywhere with the current situation.
Aye, they will be there a while. Will hopefully get there before too long.....

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It does not feel that much different for me. Since I am able to work from home, I am, and I hate it. My wife is working from home. The girls are doing school online from home. For the most part I still do not see them between 8 and 4 like a normal work day.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I forgot to add: it snowed a bit this morning. It is ONLY April 9 after all.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am really lost for words as i hear of the situation in the USA, a terrible thing for the US . I am not a religious person ,I can only hope that you come out of it very soon.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am still waiting to be redeployed in the NHS, they are incredibly slow - probably the problem is lack of PPE. I am again remotely triaging from home today. Have been getting through the list of DIY jobs that need doing. Have done a repair/refix to loose paving slabs on the front drive, however a couple more needed to be repaired but have run out of concrete - very difficult to get more now. Managed to get some online last night, but can only collect on tuesday. Collection is by 'social distancing' - you get a text when your order is ready, you then queue in your car outside the store, produce your receipt (its already paid for online), they then place your order close to your car, and then you get out and put it in the car yourself.
On another note, the farmer in his field about 3 mins away has a beautiful field of rape. Perhaps if I do my daily exercise with walking the dog there tomorrow at sunrise, it might justify taking the camera, but will have to think carefully on that one.

Last edited:

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I just saw that Texas is planning to stop their lockdown next week.
In the meantime, Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York City announced that the complete school year is done and Governor Andrew Cuomo said it's not the mayor's decision . Talk about double standards, even within one State! Itd 3d Ani W60 Smiles 072

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The world has truly gone bonkers.

My new job sees me opening peoples’ bins looking for clinical waste, entering run down tower blocks, calling on old people homes and collecting the waste bags which contain the delights (and smells) of incontinence nappies, etc, avoiding needles and blood and getting up as early as 4am.

A highlight the other day was collecting from a police station. My boss (a friend of mine who is a pretty female less than half my age!) asked me if I knew what the smell was. I‘m so innocent :D that I had no idea. There was a policeman moving around 40-50Kg of cannabis. Smelt lovely I must admit!!! She was quite shocked and thought I was serious when I asked her if anyone was watching as I could pop a bag into the van :grin:

Only one pick up has made my blood boil - a nursing home nurse refused to sign my piece of paper to show I’d collected their waste. I so nearly put it all back in the bin saying that I was at a much higher risk for collecting the nappies and medical equipment than she was for signing a piece of paper.

I’ve been seeing a very different world out there recently. Not necessarily a good world either.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The state are lifting some of the lockdown here to allow certain non-essential trades to go back from Monday, I'm just wondering if it's going to be a good idea or not; I think they are gambling on the fact that the documented infection rate of anyone under retirement age has been less than 9% (or just over 14,000) and within that it's a mortality rate of around 8% (1100) and that the greater part of others have been in enclosed (as in residential home, which has highlighted another mess that needs resolving as a lot of these places are running profit before anything else) environments.

During the last week, I've done quite a bit of tweakage to my fun rig; just don't know if I'll be able to go out and use it this year, but hoping so.

Southern Gent

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
As the "stimulus checks" are set to go out this week, I thought of this story:

t’s a slow day in our little town……..
The sun is hot….the streets are deserted.
Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.

On this particular day a rich tourist drove into town. He stops at the local motel and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night. As soon as the man walks upstairs, the owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill at the feed store.

The guy at the feed store takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who facing hard times and has had to offer her services on credit.

The prostitute, in a flash rushes to the motel and pays off her room bill with the motel owner. The motel proprietor now places the $100 back on the counter so the rich traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, picks up the $100 bill, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money & leaves.

NOW,… no one produced anything…no one earned anything…however the whole town is out of debt and is looking to the future with much optimism.

So how does it apply to the "stimulus money"? Good old Uncle Sam (the rich tourist) has temporarily increased the town’s money stock by $100. In effect, he has made a short-term loan of a new $100 bill, increasing liquidity. The $100 provides the residents with a medium of exchange that allows them to clear their offsetting debts. However, they fail to recognize that these transactions have made no change in any of the parties’ net wealth. At the beginning each resident has a $100 liability, but each also has an offsetting financial asset of $100, at the end, they all have neither. The kicker is that Uncle Sam was using money he had already taken from the town people (taxes), and when he leaves takes it back, so the net economic value of the town has not changed either.

Uncle Sam has never produced anything. No new final goods and services were produced by the town (they had been produced already), so in it's most basic form the $100 (stimulus) acts as a clearing house to reset the town's economy. What the town does from there remains to be seen.

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
The world has truly gone bonkers.

My new job sees me opening peoples’ bins looking for clinical waste, entering run down tower blocks, calling on old people homes and collecting the waste bags which contain the delights (and smells) of incontinence nappies, etc, avoiding needles and blood and getting up as early as 4am.

A highlight the other day was collecting from a police station. My boss (a friend of mine who is a pretty female less than half my age!) asked me if I knew what the smell was. I‘m so innocent :D that I had no idea. There was a policeman moving around 40-50Kg of cannabis. Smelt lovely I must admit!!! She was quite shocked and thought I was serious when I asked her if anyone was watching as I could pop a bag into the van :grin:

Only one pick up has made my blood boil - a nursing home nurse refused to sign my piece of paper to show I’d collected their waste. I so nearly put it all back in the bin saying that I was at a much higher risk for collecting the nappies and medical equipment than she was for signing a piece of paper.

I’ve been seeing a very different world out there recently. Not necessarily a good world either.
this situation is certainly bringing the best and worse out of society .

The state are lifting some of the lockdown here to allow certain non-essential trades to go back from Monday, I'm just wondering if it's going to be a good idea or not; I think they are gambling on the fact that the documented infection rate of anyone under retirement age has been less than 9% (or just over 14,000) and within that it's a mortality rate of around 8% (1100) and that the greater part of others have been in enclosed (as in residential home, which has highlighted another mess that needs resolving as a lot of these places are running profit before anything else) environments.

During the last week, I've done quite a bit of tweakage to my fun rig; just don't know if I'll be able to go out and use it this year, but hoping so.
seems to me until, they have a decent way of testing the population at large and tracking who has and who hasn't got it, then it will be very difficult to prevent the situation from worsening again as soon as measures are relaxed.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
seems to me until, they have a decent way of testing the population at large and tracking who has and who hasn't got it, then it will be very difficult to prevent the situation from worsening again as soon as measures are relaxed.
I quite agree - in addition, there are some of us who think we've already been exposed to the virus (my wife went to the doctor many weeks ago and the doctor said she was presenting all the symptoms of coronavirus) but the rest of our family didn't have any effects. Are we immune? Did my wife have it? We will never know.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That's the catch-22 situation with this virus; the only method of testing with reasonable certainty is with an anti-body test, and those anti-bodies may take time (current estimate here on what is known about the virus, this figure is being pegged at around 4 days) or never be present in a person after infection, and as people can be wandering round with this for up to 14 days before they show symptoms (if they do become symptomatic) there's a large window of opportunity for diagnosing someone as virus free when they are already effectively contagious with it.

The other problem with testing for it, a proper test would take in the region of four days to show a result, and here at current capacity (don't know what the lab capacity is in the UK) the overhead for extra tests to be processed is around 2000 a day; so with that to get through all the unaffected (won't say uninfected) population at the moment with a single test would take in the region of 10 years.

A disturbing side to quarantine and one that I'm sure a lot of the governments are acutely aware of but not saying is that the longer the quarantine, the higher the possibility of civil and political unrest. One thing I've heard here, every time the end of quarantine date arrives and the government pop on another couple of weeks, people are getting more frustrated with it, and now the news isn't as scary just mundane (it's easier to control a panicked population than a bored one), there could be a point where those in confinement (especially if there's not a lot or no known cases in the area) reach a breaking point especially if mixed up with loss of incomes and increased risk of poverty. There's grumbles in the political arena here already, and on a social level when "influential people" (I use that phrase loosely) are plastered across the media flouting rules then people down the ladder will follow suite.

Southern Gent

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
the longer the quarantine, the higher the possibility of civil and political unrest.
And the greater the possibility of serious disruptions in the food chain. For years I owned a trucking company, here in the US, JIT inventory has been a way of life for many years. Every one from the manufacturer to the retail store strives to keep their inventory to minimal levels. As long as everything keeps moving in the system it works, but when something disrupts the chain, it takes awhile to to fill it back up. 30-40 years ago it wasn't unusual for people to have a garden, or at least knew a farm source that could supply their needs for meat, produce, milk, eggs. Now, most people think corn flakes grow on trees, and the milk appears in gallon plastic jugs. As so many food processors have been forced to close because of the virus, inventory levels have been depleting along the supply chain. If we don't get people back to work before long, the virus won't be the problem, starvation will! Here in our state, there are some counties with hot spots (metro areas), but there's a lot of counties with only a half dozen or so confirmed cases, same holds true for most of the heartland of this country. Frankly with testing, tracking and isolation, there really isn't a reason, many of these counties couldn't go back to work.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
China is a big country lots of very big cities and towns all have ''Wet Markets'' is it not strange that the origin of this virus is said to have come from one city , Wuhan?

Southern Gent

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
China is a big country lots of very big cities and towns all have ''Wet Markets'' is it not strange that the origin of this virus is said to have come from one city , Wuhan?
True but how many "wet markets" also have a government lab known to be working on corona viruses nearby?

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
True but how many "wet markets" also have a government lab known to be working on corona viruses nearby?
Quite likely but Wuhan is the culprit it seems . If you have ever been to Asia you will have seen Wet Markets in all places , it's a cultural thing we can even say our ''Farmer's Markets '' are wet markets but of course we dont butcher animals in them.
I am of the opinion that China is the culprit and a Bio Lab is involved.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
we saw a video today that claimed that Bejing and Shanghai, close in terms of global infection, have magically escaped the virus. I haven't checked if that's BS, but if it isn't.....

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
we saw a video today that claimed that Bejing and Shanghai, close in terms of global infection, have magically escaped the virus. I haven't checked if that's BS, but if it isn't.....
It's BS. Both have had cases, but as the only figures I can find are from the Chinese Health Ministry, and both seem rather on the low side for the size of populations.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's BS. Both have had cases, but as the only figures I can find are from the Chinese Health Ministry, and both seem rather on the low side for the size of populations.
I think that was the gist actually. Barely none. Certainly not like London Paris New York, Italy, Spain etc.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think that was the gist actually. Barely none. Certainly not like London Paris New York, Italy, Spain etc.
Bear in mind that they aren't a race that's very hot on health and safety. They might bury a few thousand without batting an eye and not mention it to the outside world. That's only a few days worth of mining incidents in that neck of the woods.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That's true I'm sure too

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
They might bury a few thousand without batting an eye and not mention it to the outside world.
If it wasn't for the current thing being identified in other places, I doubt we'd have heard [much] of it.

Saying that though, after a few "WTF?" moments in January (like discovering that there's an active, unmarked cemetery in the municipal boundaries, and I've lived here nigh on 15 years, as well as a couple of "odd" ones on the slab); and recently a report sneaking out here that it was active in the region before it was meant to have arrived, it could well be that when all the inquiries are done and dusted here in the western hemisphere that China is just being made out to be a scapegoat to detract from everyone else doing the same.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Perhaps I could relate a ''Fact'' that I am aware of . For some years I was involved in the annual shut down of a nickel smelter. This plant was smelting an ore that was rich in sulfur . As a consequence the iron content and oxygen produced a temperature of approx 1350 C and was in fact self sustaining in the heat required for the process. The furnace was re bricked during these shut downs. Understandably a period of two to three weeks was required for the internal of the furnace to cool down so that workers could enter and commence the re bricking.
In China I am told rebricking commences immediately the furnace is shut down. There is a very large workforce ready to carry one brick at a time into the furnace , the worker drops the brick and then melts and another man continues the task .

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
If it wasn't for the current thing being identified in other places, I doubt we'd have heard [much] of it.

Saying that though, after a few "WTF?" moments in January (like discovering that there's an active, unmarked cemetery in the municipal boundaries, and I've lived here nigh on 15 years, as well as a couple of "odd" ones on the slab); and recently a report sneaking out here that it was active in the region before it was meant to have arrived, it could well be that when all the inquiries are done and dusted here in the western hemisphere that China is just being made out to be a scapegoat to detract from everyone else doing the same.
I have seen many people, including people I know, say they had all the symptoms of COVID-19 before it was supposed to have reached here. Now, other things produce the same, I know, but there have been a lot. So maybe it was or there is also something else going around that seems the same.