1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

The weight of it all.

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Phill104, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Whenever I ask my kids to bring in y camera bag from the car they moan about its weight. Until recently I found it a comfortable load to carry. That was before I started lugging around my tripod more often. Problem is, what do I leave behind? I have tried leaving certain bits of kit in the boot of the car, only for it to either get stolen or for me to end up with a long walk back to get something I need. Worse still, I have missed shots by not taking stuff.

At present I carry 2 bodies, 4 lenses, extension tubes and a converter. adding spare batteries, a macro twin flash, filters, cleaning stuff, remote release, something to sit on etc. It all rapidly adds up to a lot of stuff. So I my bag are three distinct setups, wildlife, macro and general landscape. I should make a plan for each trip but I am more of an opportunist photography wise. There are times, such as my recent trips to Burwell for the owls when just the long lens is fine. Even then I missed the opportunity to shoot an awesome sunset ina stunning location as a result. Last spring while waiting hours for,our friendly cuckoo to visit I had loads of fun with the macro kit.

How do others plan what to take? Do you just work on one thing and only prepare for that or do you like me lug lots around?

2. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I take as little as possible and make do with it .

You cant walk around hoping to get stuff that may occur, that would drive me crazy.
    99% of the time I take body and 1 lens, always a zoom, 18-130 or 18- 105 unless shooting wildlife or a specific shoot at someone's function.
    Spare batteries if I'm away from local area.

3. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My rule of thumb is if it doesn't fit in a standard sized airline overhead luggage box then it's not worth lugging around. My usual working kit is built around that principal, and I've been working to that for the last 15 years... Certain things do require specific hardware, but for 90% of the time I don't have to swap anything out of my go bag to get the job done with (the kit is one body, a grip, 2 lenses, a flash and associated little bits).

My fun stuff, apart from the tripod all can fit in the pockets of my waterproof jacket.

4. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I tend to carry too much with me. I am annoyed if I need something and it it not there.

5. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That is exactly my problem, the frustration kicks in. I’m only in my 40s at the moment but as I get older I am sure weight will become an issue on long walks

DonS likes this.
  6. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've gone the two full setups route depending on where I'm off to, for hiking, holidays and semi serious I grab the light X-T2 and slow lenses and travel tripod. If I am more serious and don't have restrictions on weight then it's full frame and 2.8 glass.

As an aside, I spent the first 7 years of my life in Burwell!

7. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    All being well we are probably off to California in February, I've made my mind up that it will just be camera /18/270 lens and the nifty fifty, spare battery and charger, what I miss its too bad. Oh circular polariser in case its sunny. LOL. Then it will be wife's Tablet and more than likely load of other bits she needs cos the handbag is too small.

8. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    You gotta carrying rack on yer zimmer then?:D:D;)

Horses for courses for me like. I have separate bags for landscape, general, macro etc and just take what I intend to use. My go to glass for wildlife is 500mm and 150-600mm which I don't bag due to their size. I'll sometimes throw one of these in the boot just in case but will not carry them unless I intend to use em.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2018
  9. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Where do you park your car? I could do with a new 500 ;)

10. JAH-WAR

JAH-WAR Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No

There are only nice people where I live/go (me includedo_O) so theft is not an issue for me (touch wood).

11. Jason

Jason Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’ve thought about this a lot over the last few months, so much so that I bought a M43 set-up - Olympus EM5mk2, 12-40 lens and a 45-150 lens. That’s 24-300mm covered in FF terms with kit that weights less than half of my Nikon stuff. I’ve just had a set of prints back, some from the Oly, some from the Nikon and at 16x12 there’s no difference in quality between set-ups. Some of the Olympus images were cropped as well.

The point of this ramble is I question why I bother carrying the Nikon stuff around when I can achieve what I want with far lighter, and cheaper for that matter, kit. The Oly and 12-40 is weather sealed as well - that’s the only compromise I won’t make.

I came really close to getting shut of all the Nikon stuff the other day, just couldn’t quite pull the trigger.

I think it’s all about being honest about what you need from your camera gear. If you’re a pro then I can understand the need for top drawer kit or if you want to pixel-peep the corner of the frame at 300% in Lightroom (that’s not a criticism btw) then buy the gazzilion pixel camera and 2 grand prime lens. Whatever you need. For me, my recent bit of honest thought has made me think that lowering the weight is the important thing. Back pain helps with the decision as well!

12. Phill104

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Here in leafy Hertfordshire there are far to many light fingers. Had my car done twice, and a recent attempt while I was in the car.

JAH-WAR likes this.
  13. wraggtime

wraggtime Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I just prepare for the one shoot and only pack for that or the bag is just way to heavy, I’m hoping mirror less cameras will make life easier in the future.

14. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Most ever is two mirrorless bodies with lenses obviously attached, no extra lenses. But, invariably it's just one cam and lens. I remember shooting the London marathon a few years ago with a heavy load, and almost became immobile with excruciating back pain at one point (suffer with the lower back anyway). Lesson learnt.

15. ImSoQuazy

ImSoQuazy Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I’m learning lots on this thread! I always believed in “better have it and not need it than need it and not have it...”. But gosh darn it if things don’t get heavy quickly!

My bag, I’m sure yours too, converts into a backpack and when traveling - especially thru airports - it’s inconceivable to me to set it down, I wouldn’t want to be that person you know... that recording about handling other people’s bags blaring on the overhead speakers... but try using the restroom with all gear on your back! Sigh

Phill104 is funny

16. nanhi

nanhi Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I live in Belmont California, Toronto Canada and Bangalore India. I travel a lot. My photo interests are Travel, Street, Cityscape and Landscape. I carry one DSLR body, one pro-sumer P&S Camera (standby), 3 - Zoom Lenses from 10 to 300 mm (all light and very compact - Sigma 10-20/4 - 5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8 and Pentax HD WR 55-300), small and light tripod with a 8 Kg Ball Head (strapped outside the Sling Bag). Two extra batteries + SD Card. CPL + GND Filters. Small Blower Brush + Micro Fiber Cloth. One Flash Gun.
    At any time I will carry two lenses only - one on the camera and one in the Bag. I will plan which two lenses to take depending upon my photo taking situation for the day.
    All my Lenses are brutally sharp - I will go on buying a lens till I find a stunning Keeper.
    All put together 4.30 Kg with the sling Bag. Very easy to use the Restroom with the Bag on my back.
    Just don't be greedy - don't bother about that missed photo opportunity - enjoy the scene and move on.

17. Isac

Isac Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    7D + Tamron 18-400 on a shoulder strap and a CPL in the pocket. Pretty much covers it all for me - very sunny in Oz! I'm sure you'll work out what to take and what to leave behind.

18. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's a problem that many face. If you know what you're going to photograph or are familiar with the location, you can limit your kit to just the gear you need. If you only favor one type of photography such as macro, portraits, or architecture you can limit what you carry.

The challenge is when you are traveling to a new destination and don't know what you're going to encounter. Many photographers believe that the 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and the 70-200mm zoom lenses with a 1.4x teleconverter provide the greatest flexibility when traveling. The zoom lenses are a great convenience and if f/4 lenses suffice then you have a fairly compact package. In the end you have to decide what compromises need to be made for any particular photo shoot. Not having a particular lens with you may mean that you won't get the capture that you prefer but may open up opportunities for creativity.

The lens that has the greatest versatility, for me, is the 50mm. I nearly always have a tripod with me so I can skip the ultra-wide angle and wide-angle focal lengths and rely on panoramas instead.