1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Thoughts on ISO on BIF?

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Pteranadon, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As I am trying to get better results in shooting, what are your ideas/ settings on ISO when shooting in flight birds?
    Do you select "auto" and what extent do keep it at? 800? Higher?
    Recent outing and I believe I should be shooting 1/1000-1/2000 sec shutter speed.
    If I had not posted this, next time out i would presumably set iso on auto 100-1200 and in doing so i am speaking with a fair amount of sunlight.

Mike Singh likes this.
  2. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Marc

I think that your logic is going in the right direction and the auto-ISO side of things will be useful

It goes without saying that a 'damn-fast-speed' is needed for successful BiF pics .... and for those of us shooting > 300mm then we're talking 1/2500s & upwards. Also for a half-decent 'big lens' of the 150-600 ilk, it will be shooting at [maybe] F5,6 or F8 on many days, so putting the two together, I can well see that on a bright day, your ISO may float in the 800-1600 range, but late in the day or with a bit of cloud about, I can see the ISO going thru 1600. Just where it stops is anyone's guess

Pteranadon likes this.
  3. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Marc
    This is what I do as well and even go up to ISO 3200 to maintain a shutter speed >= 1/1000. Better to have a noisey sharp image than a blurry one. I've been watching Tim's videos recently. His channel is very helpful:

4. Pteranadon

Pteranadon Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @Mike Singh
    Appreciate the time. Helpful and puts it in my memory to not forget exposure comp in the mix of things.
    Thanks and the videos are to the point.

Mike Singh likes this.
  5. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As you know a shot with noise present is far better than a shot with motion blur, most of the latest noise reduction plug-ins do a great job, but I have yet to see a plug in for motion or focus blur.
    Paul

6. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is the best exposure compensation tutorial for birds I've come across!

Pteranadon likes this.