• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

today's good news! post yours

Dean M

Always on
10 years of sales and service in our office at work today so a few small celebrations.. cake!.. a prize draw with 10 prizes ( and I won one!! woot ) I had choice of bottle of champagne , a now tv box or £20 Debenhams voucher.... as we have a now tv box already and champagne.. nah ... Debenhams it was.. then we got a gift ( set of cufflinks.. don't think ive worn cufflinks ever in my life but hey one day maybe!) , and lastly camera bag arrived all rather nice.. a Tamrac derechoe 5 bag in stone grey.
https://www.tamrac.com/products/derechoe-5 .. which was my free goodie from wex for messing up my delivery on my camera ( they gave me a credit ) . oh and got paid today too.. all in all not a bad day.

hooferinsane

EXIF Seeker
Super Moderator
Youngest daughter had always struggled at school, some of you may understand learning difficulties, some may not. She was 20 years old last week, very good with her hands, academically not so good. She left school and decided to try hospitality and catering at college. Three years later and she applied for a few jobs, her older sister signed her up for a few agencies (she is so much more geared up to this than I) After doing a trial at a London restaurant for two days about 6 weeks ago, was offered a full time position as a Commis chef, which she started today. Won't mention the restaurant as she has just started, but wouldn't like to pay a bill there myself. At the end of the day, all kids can achieve, and proud of her. I will have to get up at 5.00am everyday (she asked me to set my alarm at 5.00am in case her's didn't go off) but worth it and proud of her

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Congratulations to your daughter, Brian. It's fantastic when someone overcomes life' challenges and works hard enough to succeed.

Uncle Bob

Old Hand
My good news after working since July 1965 starting at aged just 15 years old barely out of short trousers.
Starting September 1st 2017 I'm going on a 4 day week Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Other good news my son is getting married in Cyprus week after next we fly out on the 16th August.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Got some new toys coming to me in the next few weeks...

A company who I work with in a certain area have a new rig coming out on to the market and I've proper geeked on the spec of it already, and they're sending me one of the prototypes.

Violaman

Always on
Premium Member
'The Dragon'and I have been married for fifty (That's 50!) years today and I am looking forward to winning my first argument some tome soon.

DwarvenChef

Always on
Finished my Certificate in Applied Photography last semester and applied for the cert :) Kind of sad not being part of the Photo Dept this semester, or any longer...

Andy 0

Always on
Tickets for Foo's tour next summer.

Went almost instantly I understand, one of my closest friends got lucky and scored eight!

Andy 0

Always on
IMG_20171107_201125.jpg
Ignore the mosaicing, I didn't realize I'd parked it next to my work van when I took the picture!

Not today but Monday (been a mad week) I was certainly in the right place at the right time for this 'un.

£200 with new tyres and the plate, it's confused every local garage due to an unpredictable stalling fault at idle. It's the impossibly complicated four-cylinder 2.0 petrol which is usually at the bottom of everybody's shopping list but it's neat and tidy and I could afford it.

£40 later and an hour and I've got it licked.

Want to take a guess @oldgeezer :p

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
View attachment 282837
Ignore the mosaicing, I didn't realize I'd parked it next to my work van when I took the picture!

Not today but Monday (been a mad week) I was certainly in the right place at the right time for this 'un.

£200 with new tyres and the plate, it's confused every local garage due to an unpredictable stalling fault at idle. It's the impossibly complicated four-cylinder 2.0 petrol which is usually at the bottom of everybody's shopping list but it's neat and tidy and I could afford it.

£40 later and an hour and I've got it licked.

Want to take a guess @oldgeezer :p
Could have been anything mate. Vacuum leak, fuel filter, sh#t, I have no idea glad you sussed it though.

Andy 0

Always on
Could have been anything mate. Vacuum leak, fuel filter, sh#t, I have no idea glad you sussed it though.
No, you were right the first time.

Nobody had realised you couldn't get the oil filler cap off without some serious muscle with the engine running, and it ran like a bag of nails as soon as the oil cap was loosened.

Replaced the clearly knackered PCV system and clearly broken plastic pipes for £40 and she's golden. Lots of parts have been replaced over the last few months to try and resolve it, seemingly every sensor on the engine, as well as pages of printouts from diagnostic scans.

Sometimes it just needs a bit of common sense :p

Don't know if you ever dealt with these engines, but bloody hell they're complicated.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
No, you were right the first time.

Nobody had realised you couldn't get the oil filler cap off without some serious muscle with the engine running, and it ran like a bag of nails as soon as the oil cap was loosened.

Replaced the clearly knackered PCV system and clearly broken plastic pipes for £40 and she's golden. Lots of parts have been replaced over the last few months to try and resolve it, seemingly every sensor on the engine, as well as pages of printouts from diagnostic scans.

Sometimes it just needs a bit of common sense :p

Don't know if you ever dealt with these engines, but bloody hell they're complicated.
It was a common problem with these. Surprised it wasn't found earlier.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Just had a call to see if I can get down to the city for 10am in the morning for an entry exam for university. I've been thinking of doing something for a couple of years and a couple of spots opened up on the next intake of a course I'm interested in and they called to see if I was still interested; and the timetable fits in nicely with off season when the workload is low, so yeah, sure I'm interested!

Only thing I'm worried about though, is part of the entry exam is language skills and even after all these years I still trip up on masculine/feminine inflection and the correct use of accents in Catalan!

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Congratulations on the invitation. Higher education is always a good thing.
Yeah, I've got a few bits of it in the CV and funny thing is that none of it's relevant to what I actually do, just something to stop the brain from rotting I think.

Nice one Sean. Time to sponge off the parents lol
Sponging off the folks, doubt it... After juggling round the schedule I'll still be doing the day job on top. However, if I get accepted for it I can claim up to a certain percentage back from the government in terms of expenses, also get some nice student discounts on relative things and not get my earlobes pulled by the bean counter (before anyone says it's not nice calling the other half an accountant, that's actually her job!) for when I turn up with some expensive shiny toys to play with. Just from a budget point of view I don't think I'll be any worse off this year, and if I get the head on right I could perhaps be a few sheets better off even after the attrition rate of the coffee machines.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Went down to town, did the test, didn't think that I'd done well on it (actually thought I'd proper buggered it up as there was stuff on there which would have made a local with advanced maths balk); was less than 10km out of town on my way home, the phone goes... "Errr... You've just dropped a 96% on the entry test; first session is 8am tomorrow, can you make it?"

So, an high level (called a "grau mitja" here, so it's between higher diploma and full on degree, can be bumped later) course in something I've only looked at on the surface in a language that's not my maternal tongue and all shoehorned in to a single semester (I'd rather do the 12 hour days over the 2 year option as it's the same course but with the latter I'd only be home 2 hours sooner on a day and still have to be leaving home at half six in the morning).

rob.tolley77

Premium Member
Well, not today, but hell, anyway. I started a new job on Monday, nothing special, but does mean my photography plans have to change as I'll be working every weekend. That said, it's not such a bad thing as I've been thinking about trying some non-sports and action photography projects whence I get my kitt sorted.

Snips

Always on
Good luck, Rob

For my part I probably posted a good couple of years ago (whenever it was) to say that I had a photograph in Horse and Hound magazine which is THE weekly UK magazine on horses. Last Thursday I had my first leading photograph in the section which was very pleasing. Probably gained myself an extra £10/$13.5 for that slot lol

Ian Gill

The Sun is out again and I'm getting some free electricity from the sun that's good news for me. Just getting in to solar power but just 2 small systems.