• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

today's good news! post yours

Violaman

Always on
Premium Member
My granddaughter has achieved excellent A level grades in Biology,Chemistry and Psychology and will be starting at Newcastle University in September on a Biomedical Science Course.

There cannot be many happier people than me at this moment in time; I am such a proud old bloke!

rob.tolley77

Premium Member
My granddaughter has achieved excellent A level grades in Biology,Chemistry and Psychology and will be starting at Newcastle University in September on a Biomedical Science Course.

There cannot be many happier people than me at this moment in time; I am such a proud old bloke!
Congrats to her V-man.

Well I guess you could say my good news is that I registered on Purple Port and after having been accepted this morning, about 4 hours ago I was contacted by a model looking to arrange a shoot. Now I'm a bag of nerves :swoon:

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Got offered a job on Tuesday morning, as whilst I was doing this (current) degree I left a rather good impression on folk as it was the head of the faculty who recommended me as the company asked if there was anyone on their design courses (and I was doing advanced IT) who'd be interested and word got around that I was needing some hours for finishing off a "top up" module. Started the placement at the company on Monday and before 08:00 on Tuesday the owner (and my current boss) walked in after having a few discussions and offered me permanent position and flexible around with what work I do in the music stuff as well.

Job entails being in charge of the company websites, publicity materials, photography / video stuff and doing the occasional trade event and client meet (should English be required in the mix). The company is a chain of high end clothes shops, it's ~36 hour a week (but more when the "seasons" change) 07:30 - 15:30 on a day time, five minutes on foot from the front door, subsidised hardware and an 50m2 area to convert in to a photographic studio.

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
I finally passed my driving test yesterday after several years of budget restrained lessons. Probably not the biggest deal in the world but I'm pretty chuffed not to have to commute on a push bike this winter. :D

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Nice one, Sean. That sounds like a great gig.
It is Roger, it's been quite a busy few weeks settling in I've not really had time to do much else (and with personal computer problems, not had time to do much on here); I've been spending a lot of time working on writing up software as either the bought in stuff wasn't fit for purpose or it didn't exist, also nearly got the website working 100% (should have that done by the end of the month I think) and making a start to bring all the maintenance of systems in house as we think (between myself an the other guy I work with) that we could save up to 25,000€ a year on servicing hardware by boshing the service plans and doing it ourselves.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
nice one Sean and Ryan
Would have been, today was a pita... Last couple of weeks we've been integrating search/filter functionality on to the online stuff, so that's a lot of stuff to categorise (and I had to manually assign each colour to a spectral colour, and with something like 900 colours logged in the system was a fair task), same for sizing (as EU size is different to UK size which in turn is different to US size and Spanish size and Portuguese size). So all them have gone in, then each section has 2 search units (one for desktop, t'other for mobile), then this morning just after 8 am (it started indexing at I think 02:30 this morning) my partner in the office walks in and says "Server's a bit slow today..."
Debug time, turns out since the day this module was installed in to the system (not live mind, only visible to us) instead of writing DB queries to the cache and calling from there, it was calling the DB each time; and for added bonus it wasn't releasing the DB connection afterwards and just re-spawning processes... By the time we managed to shut it all down at just in front of 11am it had spawned 8734 connections and CPU utilisation was 100% on 3 of the 4 nodes and and creeping up on the 4th.

Just managed to get everything back up (minus this search system), cached and stable in the last half hour, thankfully as tomorrow is one of the busiest days of the year on the website.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Nice one Paul. This is my first ever sale there I believe!!
Can I retire now?
That will depend on the length of retirement, anything over 1/2 an hour will be a problem.
I have 8 sales now and still not in 3 figures .... lol
Paul

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
after nearly three years of no weekends and stupidly long work days I have finally finished my chemical engineering HNC. so looking forward to getting back out with my camera regularly and just generally having life again. Happy days..... :)

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
after nearly three years of no weekends and stupidly long work days I have finally finished my chemical engineering HNC. so looking forward to getting back out with my camera regularly and just generally having life again. Happy days..... :)
Well done Steve, that's a long road you have travelled.

Paul