• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Today's macro stuff

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
Went out looking for dragons and damsels again with no luck till I spotted a blue tail on the way back to the car. It was in an awkward spot and could only get one shot so I had to make do with this lot to keep me entertained the rest of the time.

1. Nomad Bee
IMG_2260.jpg

2. Blue Tail Damselfly ( trust me the tail is blue:))
IMG_2218.jpg

3. Water strider with prey
IMG_2156.jpg

4. Dagger fly
IMG_2114.jpg

5. The closest shot I have ever gotten of a hover in flight
IMG_2279.jpg

JAH-WAR

Always on
Premium Member
Another decent set.

I much prefer Macro shots taken with Macro gear rather than long glass. The detail and IQ is just so much better imo.

kayak

Old Hand
I had a true macro lens years ago on a roll film Pentax. Most of what I shoot now is on a zoom lens (Nikon 55 - 300) with wildlife being my best subject. Can't always get in close enough, but I don't fancy carrying anything bigger than that.

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
Brilliant!
Another decent set.

I much prefer Macro shots taken with Macro gear rather than long glass. The detail and IQ is just so much better imo.
Thanks both of you, I usually don't bother with long lenses and close up stuff. Dragons, damsels and butterflies maybe but nothing much smaller than that and as you say the IQ really doesn't compete with a true macro lens.
I had a true macro lens years ago on a roll film Pentax. Most of what I shoot now is on a zoom lens (Nikon 55 - 300) with wildlife being my best subject. Can't always get in close enough, but I don't fancy carrying anything bigger than that.
I have seen some really spectacular results using a similar focal length/ range lens to yours but with a closeup lens attached to the front. Something like a raynox 150 or 250 would get you in close but with a reasonable working distance, plus it adds next to nothing to your kit weight/ space-wise. If I had a compatible lens I would buy one for sure.

kayak

Old Hand
Thanks both of you, I usually don't bother with long lenses and close up stuff. Dragons, damsels and butterflies maybe but nothing much smaller than that and as you say the IQ really doesn't compete with a true macro lens.

I have seen some really spectacular results using a similar focal length/ range lens to yours but with a closeup lens attached to the front. Something like a raynox 150 or 250 would get you in close but with a reasonable working distance, plus it adds next to nothing to your kit weight/ space-wise. If I had a compatible lens I would buy one for sure.
Thanks for that, I'll look into it.

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day mate

Your 'true macro' images are really great and thanks for showing them

For me - and probably others here - who use 'long glass' to get our closeups, while we have fun, we are not in the 'macro' class [like you], just the 'closeup' class

Whether it's your 55-300 or my 24x panny zoom, the addition of any "close-up" lens will open up a new world for you. The Raynox is mentioned above and is very popular... I use the Canon 250D lens to do my closeups. It comes in various diameters from 52mm dia upwards. The 250D is a "+4-dioptre" lens, meaning that its focal length is 1/4-metre when the main lens it is attached to is set to infinity. Can you imagine your 55-300 down to 1/4-metre? between filter-ring & in-focus subject

The other beauty of using closeup lenses is that once in focus a) you still have full use of the zoom part of the lens for altering image size, and b) the main lens still will do a fine-focus if the subject is an inch or so closer than you guessed.

Hope this helps
Phil

kayak

Old Hand
G'day mate

For me - and probably others here - who use 'long glass' to get our closeups, while we have fun, we are not in the 'macro' class [like you], just the 'closeup' class

Whether it's your 55-300 or my 24x panny zoom, the addition of any "close-up" lens will open up a new world for you. The Raynox is mentioned above and is very popular... I use the Canon 250D lens to do my closeups. It comes in various diameters from 52mm dia upwards. The 250D is a "+4-dioptre" lens, meaning that its focal length is 1/4-metre when the main lens it is attached to is set to infinity. Can you imagine your 55-300 down to 1/4-metre? between filter-ring & in-focus subject

The other beauty of using closeup lenses is that once in focus a) you still have full use of the zoom part of the lens for altering image size, and b) the main lens still will do a fine-focus if the subject is an inch or so closer than you guessed.

Hope this helps
Phil
G'day Ozzie. Thanks for that. I'll be looking into it. Cant's find any Raynox in-store so have to check on-line. From what I've seen they are about £60. Good price if it does the job.

RyanB

Always on
Premium Member
G'day mate

Cheers Phil, I wasn't besmirching long glass closeups just recognising limitations I have found when using them. No need to split us into classes I'm in it for the fun too, I just prefer my fun in really small doses.:)