• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want Pointers Tower Bridge at night

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Do you mean this, Don? A couple of quick swipes with the clone brush works great. I just did the ones on the left because I totally missed the one on the right side at first.

Untitled - 1.jpg

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Yes, those flares. I could not get them to look decent when I tried to clone them.

Snips

Always on
Took me a while to spot those - better without I have to say. I'm wondering if it's a little over exposed but that could just be my opinion.

Bet you weren't the only one here with a camera :) One of the world's most photographed bridges.

rebel06

Looking for a cause.
Took me a while to spot those - better without I have to say. I'm wondering if it's a little over exposed but that could just be my opinion.

Bet you weren't the only one here with a camera :) One of the world's most photographed bridges.
After Edwards comments I have burned a touch here and there, what do you think?.
20190616-7233a.jpg

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Nice shot Don but I'd also tweak the perspective a little as the towers look to be diverging (admittedly I'm on my phone though).

Nice shot Don but I'd also tweak the perspective a little as the towers look to be diverging (admittedly I'm on my phone though).
That might just be an optical illusion though as they are wider at the top with the turrets.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto

This was not completely done, I posted because every photo I took of the bridge here had the spots, which are flares, no other photos show dust spots. I could not clone them to make it look decent.

I was not, but most were using phones. I was also asked to take a photo of someone. This asian girl or young woman, I could not tell how old she was, who could barely speak English, asked me to take one for the 'gram.

I was not using a traditional tripod for this, I was using my Platypod clone on the wall.

That might just be an optical illusion though as they are wider at the top with the turrets.
As I said above, I was not done with this, it may not even be the best one I took that night. I did crop in a lot to highlight the issue more.

I did try to clone only in Lightroom, I guess I should try some content aware cloning in PS.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Looks great Don. If it were mine I would probably clone out the three red lights on the left as I find them just too near the edge of the frame to add anything other than a little distraction. Bear in mind, I am viewing on my phone.

Nikon Shooter

Yes, a most needed keystoning tweak should get the
towers up straight… and maybe some tonal taming
to render it as a night shot.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Yes, a most needed keystoning tweak should get the
towers up straight… and maybe some tonal taming
to render it as a night shot.
Keystoning? That is a new one to me. As I said above, this was not a "done" photograph but looking for what to do about the flairs. In that it seems I need to try again.

Nikon Shooter

Keystoning? That is a new one to me.
If one does not have a PC type of lens and risks architectural
captures when not on the horizontal plane, the consequences
are both non parallel verticals and focal dependant distortins
cumulatively, like here. The keystone tool may help at putting
things back up straight again.

Flairs may be dealt with by simply sampling and apply in the
usual way in "darken" method. HTH :)

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I know about converging verticals, just never heard the term keystoning. I will fix any of that in Lightroom. Just like I do not know what a PC Type of lens means.

Nikon Shooter

Lr? Maybe… I am adobe free since so long!

Being a Nikon user, I own the 24mm for architecture works and
the 85mm PC lenses for tabletop work in studio conditions

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Just had a quick play. Tweaked the verticals and removed the flares, or at least the ones I could see. I've never tweaked verticals before so did this just for fun. Thanks for the play Don.

I then over did fiddling with the colours, just for fun.

20190616-7233-edit.jpg

Petrochemist

Always on
Nice shot Don but a little over exposed for my preference.
I know about converging verticals, just never heard the term keystoning. I will fix any of that in Lightroom. Just like I do not know what a PC Type of lens means.
I believe the term Keystone comes from masonry, when making an arch the keystone at the top is made with non parallel sides. Giving a similar look to converging/diverging verticals.

PC is 'perspective control' AKA a shift (or tilt/shift) lens. Rather an expensive option for most photographers, especially now software fixes the problem so easily.

Jane Hobson

The ‘flares’ look like rain spots to me - however caused, just copybrush them out. Whole thing is overexposed and the perspective needs correcting. Red lights on the left are too close to the edge, and distracting, so I’d get rid of those too.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I guess I really should have mentioned that I had not edited the photo yet, I just wanted to point out the flares I could not get rid of.