1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Triggering a second camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by rob.tolley77, Sep 13, 2018.

1. rob.tolley77

rob.tolley77 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    So I've got my first shoot with a model from Purple Port next week and I was toying with an idea of using my main camera to trigger a second camera on a tripod so I could take two images of two different compositions at the same time, partly to save time during the shoot from having to constantly swap lenses between shots.

The idea was that the second camera on the tripod would have a wide angle lens and that my main camera would have a longer lens to take tighter shots. Now I use Yongnou RF-603C v2 radio triggers. The one on the second camera was on the hot shoe and also connected via the PC cable. I then have another radio trigger on the hot shoe of my main camera and a third to trigger off-camera flash. When I tested it, the flash triggered fine but the second camera didn't and after checking batteries/matching channels etc, I can't figure out what I need to do. Can anyone help? Many thanks

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    would the model be looking at the second camera?

3. rob.tolley77

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No Paul she'd be looking at the main camera but I would be positioned next to the second one or a couple of feet to the side

4. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I haven't given the technicalities of firing a second camera a huge amount of thought but without being able to compose and focus the second camera even if you can figure out the firing I'd think the images will mainly be bin jobs. I'd think by complicating things you'll actually reduce the number of keepers rather than increase them.

By all means have a second body with a different focal length handy but maybe have it on a dual black rapid strap instead for ease of switching between.

5. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Leave it with one camera, you are over complicating things...

Triggering two cameras isn't hard, you need a cable release per camera in to a 603 and then another in your hand to trigger both cameras at once. That's pretty straight forwards.

The problem even if you've got two cameras that are identical models is that when you trigger the cameras, the camera that is triggering the flashes would see the flash, but the other one most probably not because of things like shutter lag and flash sync speed, so the most probable that would happen is you'd have one camera chattering away to itself and come out with nothing but a card full of under exposed images.

6. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The timing issues could be alleviated by using constant lighting but really I agree with the above. Studio work requires concentration, organization, and constant direction throughout the shoot. If you're having to screw around with a second camera at the same time, it just doesn't make much sense. Now if you were using a wide angle to video your shoot that would make sense but not for capturing the model.

7. rob.tolley77

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll put this idea on the back burner for a while and stick to the one body and swapping between four lenses. Good job my 10D has a vertical grip with two battery slots. Well I say four lenses, I'll probably only use two or three of them but gotta have bases covered.

MikeB and Mike Singh like this.
  8. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Shoot with one camera, shooting with two at the same time will give you poor results and complicate the shoot, and more than likely take longer than just using one camera! If you have two camera bodies, you could use both with different lenses to save changing lenses.... just don't try shooting them both at the same time, really bad idea. The only thing good about having a second camera set up taking shots or video is for BTS images/video.