• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Just Sharing Trucking - who's done it? Any photos or stories?

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
(Just sharing/Full Critique - if you want to comment on the photograph per se please feel free - or not! I'm trying to make conversation but am always open to critique with a photograph - that's why I'm a member of this forum)

I know Stephen retired from the Royal Mail and produced some excellent images from his last shift a few years ago - perhaps he'll see this thread if he pops in? Anyone else drive on a tachograph for a living?

This was my digs for the last three days (new job started a couple of weeks ago) - check out that overhang at the back! Today I grounded it twice and side swiped a neat pile of bricks in a yard with that baby - oops!:roll:

There's a pod above the cab and that was my sleeping quarters - oh, the luxury. You can barely sit straight in that, let alone change into your jim jams - and there's no space for dressing gown and slippers either.

It's pictured here while I was taking my enforced break. Unfortunately I set the tachograph to "Other Work" instead of "Rest" which meant I had to sit out another 45 minutes which delayed me getting home in decent time.

For those who don't know, LGV drivers can drive for up to 4.5 hours then must take a 45 minute break and this usually takes you to a 9-10 hour day for two sessions of driving with a break (lots more rules). Tachgraphs record movement over 2 mph so if you're stationary and delivering or in stationary traffic this means your 4.5 hours might start at 6:30am and not complete until about 13:00pm - it depends on the work involved.

Truck.jpg

Ozzie_Traveller

G'day
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Edward

Not truckin' as you describe it - but that rear overhang looks decidedly dangerous
The Aussie vehicle-rego rules allow a max overhang of 2/3 the wheelbase ... so the bumper-to-bumper max = 1+2/3 the wheelbase and this is the size / shape of our motorhome

Phil
zSunliner at Mulwala (1).JPG

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Edward

Not truckin' as you describe it - but that rear overhang looks decidedly dangerous
The Aussie vehicle-rego rules allow a max overhang of 2/3 the wheelbase ... so the bumper-to-bumper max = 1+2/3 the wheelbase and this is the size / shape of our motorhome

Phil
View attachment 323667
My Ducato has very little ''Tail Swing''. An asset in tight spaces ..................that ''truck '' is scary ,then it's not a recreational vehicle ,or is it?P9160304.JPG

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
G'day Edward

Phil
View attachment 323667
I think the perspective of the inage is deceptive. IIRC our overhang rules are 60% of the wheelbase and my motorhome is very close to that too...20210910_183531.jpg

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hell that's even scarier!!!!!!
It's certainly something you need to consider if you park close to anything as the back swing is quite pronounced! Although again, the wide angle lens elongates things towards the edge of the image making it look nearer 80% than the 60% it is.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This subject should be relegated to ''Transportation

Alex7200

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
In basic this is a bad photo.. it is just cut off to get rid of the lamppost reflected in the car. Too tight framed on the left. The cabin is not really in sight. No one gets a kick of back doors in just one photo. You showed a vehicle, thats just it. Try again with more motivation and some basic composition rules :)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
In basic this is a ......... with more motivation and some basic composition rules :)
Did you happen to notice the header stating "Just Sharing"? That means not critiquing a photo that was not posted for critiquing.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Did you happen to notice the header stating "Just Sharing"? That means not critiquing a photo that was not posted for critiquing.
To be fair, uncle snips does state he is open to full critique in his first sentence.

Back on topic. An unclu of mine was a trucker in Aus. He drove road trains on the Darwin-Adelaide route.Had some amazing pictures he took over the years. Sadly he committed suicide after a sad event on the road. Seems quite common amongst long haul truckers, that and heart attacks. Wish I could get hold of some of his shots of a flash flood between Broken Hill and Adelaide as they were stunning/

Alex7200

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
quote: "if you want to comment on the photograph per se please feel free " ;) I'm always that kind of kind :p Wish you happy days.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think the perspective of the inage is deceptive. IIRC our overhang rules are 60% of the wheelbase and my motorhome is very close to that too...View attachment 323670
How long is that Barry? Our suburban on the road trip was 5.7m long. Turning circle 43 feet

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
In basic this is a bad photo.. it is just cut off to get rid of the lamppost reflected in the car. Too tight framed on the left. The cabin is not really in sight. No one gets a kick of back doors in just one photo. You showed a vehicle, thats just it. Try again with more motivation and some basic composition rules :)
Many days later, I've only just seen these later responses ...

Fair enough point on the reflection and I'd not spotted the reflection on the side of the truck when photographing the vehicle. Yes, a distraction and now I've seen it I cannot unsee it. I disagree, however, with your view of the framing of the truck as the whole point of the post was trying to illustrate the rear overhang. The truck is completely included in the photograph and is pretty central on the left/right hand margins. While many motoring photographs are more interesting viewed from the front of the vehicle I wanted to show the rear. I was trying to emphasise the overhang at that back/overall length, etc and from the replies in the thread this has had the desired response. "You showed a vehicle, that's just it." Exactly - that's all I was trying to show.

The above is all fine but what I really want to address is the tone of your post. It's not in keeping with the friendliness of the forum. I'm ugly and old enough to withstand critique and even harsh comments and have done so in the past but for you to open with "In basic this is a bad photo" and finish with "Try again with more motivation and some basic composition rules" is just plain rude. With that sort of language the smilie just does not cut it either.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
How long is that Barry? Our suburban on the road trip was 5.7m long. Turning circle 43 feet
7.65 metres or a nadge over 25ft in old money. Turning circle is probably better than 43 feet though

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
7.65 metres or a nadge over 25ft in old money. Turning circle is probably better than 43 feet though
Nice. Long enough to carry a full scaff pole with no overhang :)
But wouldn't fit up my lane.

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice. Long enough to carry a full scaff pole with no overhang :)
But wouldn't fit up my lane.
Scaff Pole , no doubt some large container of a strong beverage .
As a matter of interest the subjects of this post could in their own right be of great interest to fellow truckers .

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Scaff Pole , no doubt some large container of a strong beverage .
As a matter of interest the subjects of this post could in their own right be of great interest to fellow truckers .
Scaffold pole.
6.1m long, ali in my case but generally steel these days for actual scaffolding

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Scaffold pole.
Ah ,then you are a scaffolder?

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Ah ,then you are a scaffolder?
Nope, he's a muppet that spends most of his free time freezing his bits off atop inhospitable hill ranges trying to contact similar odd types in other countries by radio rather than new those new fangled phone or Internet thingies!

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Scaffold pole.
Yes well I gather that you are some sort of radio person ,ham or otherwise ?

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes well I gather that you are some sort of radio person ,ham or otherwise ?
Yes radio ham. I do a lot of portable contesting so need to put up rotatable beam antennas

winchestergoose

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Yes radio ham. I do a lot of portable contesting so need to put up rotatable beam antennas
Thank you Tenchy , I now understand. I lived on a remote island for some years ,there a number of ham radio fans there . I remember that they conducted ''Fox Hunts''. the only communication we had with the Australian mainland was by radio.

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you Tenchy , I now understand. I lived on a remote island for some years ,there a number of ham radio fans there . I remember that they conducted ''Fox Hunts''. the only communication we had with the Australian mainland was by radio.
Ah yes DF fox hunts. Not done that. But it shows that one hobby has a massive diversity of activities under the one umbrella. Not dissimilar to photography really.