1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

updated website

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by Dean M, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    well I'm still using weebly but decided to give it a total overhaul ( start from scratch literally ).

previously I had around 15 categories and far to many images and navigation through them was a slog.
    wasn't happy with the landing page either. to much clutter with hit counter ( eurghh ) , location map, and text, and didn't like the default backgrounds either.

so stripped things right back for far more minimal look. front page is about as minimal as it gets and narrows categories down to just 3 .

wanted the image layout to be rather random is both size and position but its a little limiting so still juggling a bit.
    anyway this is after a couple of days playing around

http://www.deanmessenger.com/

2. paulmag

paulmag Always on Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What dont I like .............the in distinctive font on the background not enough contrast for blind old frats.

I will check more out later just first thing to hit me..............even more difficult for me to read on my phone

3. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    lol I'm as blind as a bat too but couldn't find the braille font!
    but yup just checked on phone and they are a little faint on there. though I'm not a fan of big bold fonts ( I like simple clean like Ubuntu font ), but think even though these are black they may need a slight change to something a little more solid.
    changed it from light to regular should be a little clearer now

paulmag likes this.
  4. Fogey

Fogey Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Dean,
    Front page:
    Great Photo, but the copyright text at the bottom of the page is almost invisible

Information page:
    As has been said, a grey text on a white background isn't good and really needs to be changed to something more striking.
    The text itself is confusing. The 'statements' need to have a heading instead of a signature;
    the tense keeps switching from the first party - we, our - to the third party - their. Keep it constant.

A portable studio is mentioned but no mention of a sales page - I don't know how you intend to trade, what venues you cover etc. Just checked the Links page and found two links to your individual Sales site. The first question I ask myself is are you a team, which is indicated in the information page, or are you in competition with each other, indicated on the links page. Not sure about this at all.

Also by clicking on the links, in the links page, takes you away from this website - is that what you want? Should the links not open in a new window?

The contact page really needs a re-captcha box. If you don't have it you will be inundated with spam messages from robots. Same thing goes for your guestbook.

Finally, I don't really know what you are trying to achieve with this website - is it there to showcase or sell your work?

If it's the former, I would say lose the links - if it's the latter, then I would combine the three websites more subtly.

Sorry if this sounds harsh - I'm trying to be constructive, not criticise.

5. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks for feedback, always appreciated.
    to answer some questions.
    there should be a captcha box, as it was enabled and set in the code so will need to look at that for both guest book and the contacts.
    the portable studio bit needs an update that's text from the old site which was for mainly for selling and had pricing on all the products.
    the links should open in a new window , again will check that since the overhaul a few of the old stuff has remained and needs working on. in fact the whole links page needs making clearer that its for sales of our fine art stuff, its a shame I cant embed them but wouldn't know where to start tbh.
    the site is more a showcase rather than anything else. theres two sides to things, the online print on demand stuff which is all hosted on 3rd party sites such as fine art America and photo4me , then the portrait side of things which is where this site will eventually go down, but for now there isn't enough in both quantity and quality to showcase that as a primary function.

the text is black so not sure why it looks more like a charcoal grey. I could go colour but tbh I'm struggling to find a clean font that's also clear and easy to read.
    still its all a work in progress and early days. the old website was total overload and had pricing, packages, and the whole kit n caboodle, but since the 2 surgeries last year it all took a huge back seat so its really now more a gradual build up and will be more selective on image choices once I get more under the belt.
    ive got around 20,000 images on the pc of which probably 19000 are landscapes, seascapes cityscapes etc and I'm moving away from that now so its just a case of building on that with a more minimal clean website.
    at some point I may add portrait packages and drop the scenic and wildlife shots entirely from the website but that will be a while yet.

6. Fogey

Fogey Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Perhaps there should be a 'This Site' page explaining what you're trying to achieve.

7. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    both guest book and contact page now updated. gone through the info page and cant see where it switches to 3rd person. only I and we in there cant see a their.

enlarged font on the copyright ( which has a link taking you to full copyright page. )

updated links page making it clearer and cleaner.

8. Fogey

Fogey Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Living on the Surrey and Kent borders we are surrounded by wonderful landscapes and woodland and this is reflected in their work. (Third Person).

9. Fogey

Fogey Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Either:
    Living on the Surrey and Kent borders they are surrounded by wonderful landscapes and woodland and this is reflected in their work. (Third Person). or
    Living on the Surrey and Kent borders we are surrounded by wonderful landscapes and woodland and this is reflected in our work. (First Person).

10. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    lol missed that one. at least the other bits have been fixed!