1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Updating Adobe Camera RAW

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by Violaman, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Violaman

IOTM

Violaman Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have just upgraded my Canon 7d for a mark ii version and while I am happy with the camera, I did not realise that my current version of RAW (6.0) would not recognise the new camera.

Well, I'll just update the software then, it'll only take a few minutes..............and that's were the trouble started!!!

I have PS5 and when I try to upload images, they are recorded on 'bridge' as CR2 images which cannot be shown in PS5 as the EOS7dii is not supported by the installed RAW version. When I try to update RAW, I am being told that this cannot be done as 'bridge' is open, even though it is not!

I am reluctant to uninstall Bridge just in case it is lost forever.

Any ideas what the problem is and how I can solve it?

I will be grateful for any advice

2. Ogofmole

IOTM

Ogofmole Old Hand Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I upgraded my ACR in CS5. Not in Bridge.

Violaman likes this.
  3. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't think the 7d 11 is supported in 6.7. minimum is camera raw 8.0 according to Adobe.
    You'll have to use DNG converter or get CS6 or later.

Violaman likes this.
  4. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You could get Elements 13 which will read your files and then open them in cs5.
    Cheaper than getting CS6 or CC.

Violaman likes this.
  5. Ogofmole

IOTM

Ogofmole Old Hand Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    With my Nikon D7200, I use the Adobe DNG converter.

Violaman likes this.
  6. steve b

IOTM

steve b Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I hate technology leapfrogging (my word for it). My perfectly good phone won't accept some apps, as it's too old. My W10 PC won't take some of my perfectly adequate software, so I'm forced to buy new versions. I've just found my Canon 6D charger won't green light third party batteries, my 7D charger will, they're the same physical size, as the battery pattern is the same, the 6D flashes a message every time a third party battery is inserted.....

Violaman likes this.
  7. Violaman

IOTM

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My thoughts exactly. There is nothing in the sales literature for the 7Dii to suggest a potential problem with downloading the images, it was only after I had received my lovely new toy that I realised that I might have a problem with PS5 (which is perfectly good for the level of my expertise!!!)

8. john.margetts.ph

john.margetts.ph Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    But technology has to leapfrog to advance. Adobe cannot include future cameras in their software as the future cameras do not exist at the point the software is written. If Canon made their cameras to the software standards of when Adobe first produced Photoshop, Canon would be unable to produce better cameras.

9. Violaman

IOTM

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I agree, but there could always be the option of updating any software, or providing a new platform for each advance in technology.

10. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Problem is, it's an industry standard and therefore is aimed at professional markets. Elements is what the DIY version is but that doesn't mean to say it's no good.
    Any tradesman wouldn't just buy cheap diy anything if it is in use all the time but you see them using throw away tools in the trade because it's cheaper to throw away after the job is done.
    Important gear you pay the price. If it wasn't for advances in technology, we wouldn't be doing this stuff as a hobby or even part time, it would be too expensive.

Violaman likes this.
  11. john.margetts.ph

john.margetts.ph Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There is - buying the latest version of Photoshop!

12. gaelldew

gaelldew Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just upgraded to Ps CC2017.

Violaman likes this.
  13. oldgeezer

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I use CS6, ACR, bridge and Lightroom but I could do 90% in Elements.
    For compositing, Photoshop is second to none IMO but is not a must have CC situation.
    I don't like not owning my software and will never sign up to CC and if and when I get a later camera that isn't
    supported, I will just use DNG files or buy Elements with camera support.
    All the new little auto this and that junk is not so much fun as doing it manually for me.
    If I can't take a photo without having to PP it to death I will delete the photo.
    I understand having the new versions of stuff is fun but you soon get tired of just playing with new bits and get back to what is necessary.

Violaman likes this.
  14. Violaman

IOTM

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have tried using DNG files and this seems to be the way forward for me. I am not expert enough, or use the system enough to justify paying for CC as my PS5 will cope with my EOS5D and DNG will serve as a way of coping with the 7Dii.

Many thanks for the positive advice.