1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Urban Decay - Bourton mill

Discussion in 'All Other Images Forum' started by stanm, Apr 4, 2017.

1. stanm

stanm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This was originally a mill which has been used for various purposes over the years until it shut around 15 years ago and has been allowed to fall into decay while the council ponder what to do with it

stan

[​IMG]

Stravinsky and Electra like this.
  2. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hmm, something isn't sitting right here with me. Maybe the lack of shadows or the even lighting throughout. Most decayed buildings aren't lit like this. I love all the detail and colors, but something isn't right. Is it an HDR?

3. stanm

stanm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    you expect abandoned buildings to be drab and dark but this one is just the opposite, flooded with light and covered in grafitti and I shot for HDR to bring out the intensity of the colours.

This was shot back in the summer and not long after planning permission was granted for a small housing estate and from reading a blog looks like demolition began in December so looks like a great shooting location is now lost

Stan

4. Stemmy

Stemmy Old Hand Super Admin

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    your HDR needs a rework to me. You have ghosting on the right of the image where the images have not blended correctly. You can dial this out when creating the HDR.

It looks speckly in the blacks which is usually from over sharpening ? If you have done this to cure the right hand side try hitting the remove ghosts button in your HDR settings, unless it is camera movement. Im assuming you used a tripod ?

There doesn't seem to be any true blacks in the image, i think that is whats missing. The idea of urban decay is dark and gloomy and dingy which would assume blacks and dark colours.

I think an image is there it just needs a rework.

What are you using for HDR ??

5. stanm

stanm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    thanks for looking Stemmy.

The image is a blend of 3 using Photomatix with the deghosting option enabled and the shots were handheld - the only way in to this place was through a hold in the fence at first floor level and then down a 20 ft vertical ladder so not an option to take a tripod down. Shutter speeds were 1/15 to 1/30 at 10mm, so handholding should have been OK

Here is a rework of a single shot

Stan

0975 - bourton mill.jpg

6. Stemmy

Stemmy Old Hand Super Admin

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Miles better but I might even dial it back even more to create the atmosphere.

7. stanm

stanm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  8. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Here a lot Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Had a play with the single image
    AdobeLightroom.jpeg

Stravinsky and stanm like this.
  9. Stravinsky

Stravinsky Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I love shots of that kind of subject
    Ive often found it difficult to get the right balance with HDR and in the end when I used to do it I was dialing it down considerably trying very hard to make it so people didnt know it was HDR

I like the last one better, for sure

10. lundrog

lundrog Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Cool subject. Was that the only thing in the area worth shooting?

11. stanm

stanm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That is just a small part of it and I have lots of other different shots. It's gone now though to make way for housing

Stan

12. lundrog

lundrog Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Do you have a online gallery? Or are you willing to post a few more?

13. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Old Hand Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I like your edited version after the Stemmy comments, have you also tried this in monochrome with more contrast.

14. stanm

stanm Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    too many to post really but this is the flickr album

have not but might have a look

Stan

15. lundrog

lundrog Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks for sharing the album. Neat