1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

US wants to ban all electronics from checked luggage as well

Discussion in 'Photography News Forum' started by DonS, Oct 20, 2017.

1. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    ffs.
    much better if no one goes in or out eh...

3. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes, but they are trying to get it implemented everywhere. That means no matter where you are starting or going.

4. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes no doubt. Getting beyond a joke. Obviously we want security, but freedom would be good too.

5. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There will have to be a solution to this, the airlines will start to take a hit if people can not travel with reasonable, domestic electronic items.

I wonder if there's a potential for a compromise of placing batteries in separate container. This will spread, interestingly enough on a related topic a YouTuber I follow (Dave Jones, EEV Blog) has recently run in to issues buying electronics components in Australia as essentially the name 'Dave Jones' seems too generic for the US master list of terrorist suspects and he's finding he's having orders placed on hold until he can prove that is name is actually 'Dave Jones.'

It shows the reach of the US security services, this is affecting an Australian, buying components in Austrailia.

Interestingly this went up not 12 hours ago.

6. alan14

alan14 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Until the US stops thinking they have a right to police the world I'm going nowhere near an airport, it's easier and less intrusive to get a visit to a death row prisoner than it is to get a flight these days...

7. photodiva

photodiva Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Take a ferry. job done.

8. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Don't get your knicers in a twist.

I think the issue is that lithium-ion batteries have proven to pose some danger and cheap ones are even a greater risk. A lot of electronics are now powered by cheap lithium-ion batteries. Just recently all "hoverboards" were taken off the market here due to their propensity to self immolate or explode. The frequency of fires due to lithium-ion batteries has been small and most have been in the passenger cabin where attendants where able to extinguish the fire. The concern is having the batteries in the cargo hold. So far three cargo jets have been destroyed and four pilots killed by in-flight fires that investigators say were either started by batteries or made more severe by their proximity.

Having a fire at 35,000 ft. in an aluminum tube filled with passengers and hundreds of gallons of jet fuel can make for a stressful flight.

At this point it seems that the compromise is to have the electonic devices in the cabin rather than in cargo.

Peta Pixel is primarily a click-bait site that often overstates issues in order to get hits.

Regarding the Australian story, the U.S. Government has no authority to dictate how an Australian company does business in Australia. The question that should be asked is why does the company use the list.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  10. plloydie

plloydie Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    We have just flown back from the States and what I thought was odd was because we checked in online we didn't have to remove our footwear when going through security. Many others were having to though as they checked in at the airport. I can't see what the difference is security wise can someone explain?

11. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    In some cases they may have bomb sniffing dogs and in others they may do the search at random.