1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Used D4 or D500

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by Richard Davies, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Richard Davies

Richard Davies Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Having this dilemma now looking at either adding another D500 or getting a used D4 with low shutter count for £1600. Shoot mostly rugby. The light is never that great here and currently using D500 with 200-500 and D7200 with 70-200 2.8. So looking to upgrade the 7200

2. Newbandit

Newbandit Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Buy another D500 it does the job and will keep your workflow effortless.

3. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I think you'll be happier with the resolution (fine detail) that you get from the D500. It has a smaller pixel pitch than the D810 and can render finer detail than the D4. The fps is about the same, so it should make for a nice sports camera.

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Stick with the D500, as with you coming off a crop on to a D4 you may start to feel that the 70-200 doesn't seem long enough compared to what you are used to.

5. Richard Davies

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm looking at using the D4 with my 200-500 and possibly help with low light performance too

6. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Changes it a bit then; I've not had a D500 head to head with a D4, but I don't know whether the D4 would be that much superior in terms of overall performance next to a D500 at similar ISO levels with the images bicubic resized down to the same size as what comes off the D4. On that, the D500 has a larger non-amplified ISO range, so only side by side would tell there.

Where the D4 would beat the D500 would be in terms of battery life (unless you're running a grip with the same battery on the D500, then that'd win) but on the other side the D500 has a better AF and the AF covers most of the frame where on Nikon's full frame stuff (and this I've never understood, perhaps it's to maintain backwards compatibility with crop lenses) the AF points are bunched up in the middle of the frame and the AF on the D500 is a lot more accurate in low light (I think the D4 had a sensitivity of -2EV, whereas the D500 is somewhere in the region of -4EV).

7. SFTphotography

SFTphotography Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If the D500 works for you why not get another.

8. Phill104

Phill104 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have a few friends with D4 and D500. All of them have all but given up using their D4s.

9. Richard Davies

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Just seen a uses D4 with 7k clicks for £1600. Decisions :confused::confused::confused: