• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Vogue Slammed for Hiring Annie Leibovitz for Simone Biles Cover Instead of Black Photographer

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Personally, I think this article was designed with division in mind. As per our rules here, let's not turn the discussion into anything except photography related.
With that in mind I do believe that Annie missed big time in that photo shoot. It's definitely not up to her normal high standards.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
With that in mind I do believe that Annie missed big time in that photo shoot. It's definitely not up to her normal high standards.
Not to dwell on the divisiveness of the article, but I did find it equally offensive that it suggested only a black photographer can understand how to light black skin. I guess all the work and research I've done so I could understand how to light black children properly was in vain, since my own skin is the wrong color. People really need to get over themselves and stop using color as a basis for all problems. The photos, don't seem to represent other work I've seen by Leibovitz, but then where was the AD in all this???? Was she providing what she was told to provide?? Maybe the AD doesn't have the right skin color to direct the shoot properly. Maybe Simone was calling the shots on the shoot? Who knows, and frankly who cares.

Last edited: