• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Want a new camera bag

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Not that I do not have any, but as most know here, there is no perfect bag. What I am looking for:

1. Generous size, even if I do not fill it, I like to have the option.
2. Opens inside the straps (to my back)
3. Waterproof
4. Not a silly high price. I would like under $200 CDN,

I have no brand preference, just looking for suggestions.

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
2. Opens inside the straps (to my back)
That's asking a bit here, Don. In all my looking I've never seen one opening that way. The one I use the most opens on the side when I swing it around on one strap.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That's asking a bit here, Don. In all my looking I've never seen one opening that way. The one I use the most opens on the side when I swing it around on one strap.
It is more rare, but lots do. They tend to be more expensive. Several Lowepro ones do. It makes sense to design them this way. When you lay it down to open, the side that goes against your clothes does not get dirty, and no pickpockets can open it and get stuff out while you are wearing it.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have a Lowepro Flipside 400 AWII which is a very nice bag. There is a bigger version (500) too.

It only has access between the straps with no side openings so is reasonably secure unless it's cut open with a knife.

As I'm in a wheelchair, I wear mine on my chest so that when it opens it sits on my lap - perfect for what I need.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have many bags Don and I'm a huge fan of the back opening one. Of the ones I own the Lowepro flipside 400 takes a lot of gear for a fairly compact bag. The 500 version might be worth a good look if you need more space. The Lowpro Whistler is a stunning bag and I adore mine, it's super strong and tough and very waterproof. These days I use an F-Stop Tilopa if I need something bigger but that's well outside your budget. All three are back openers.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The best bit about rear openers in my opinion is that with the waist strap done up I can shrug my shoulders out and spin the bag round and gain access without having to put the bag down in the mud.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II is on sale here right now, $139, regular $219 in most places or $199 on Amazon.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I looked at a few reviews and the 400 AW II looks good. So I ordered. Now to hide from my wife...

Scratch

Always on
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good choice

Ramble Vision

Mountain Climber
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
I looked at a few reviews and the 400 AW II looks good. So I ordered. Now to hide from my wife...
you should be ok, just mix it in with all the others, she will never know ;)

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
you should be ok, just mix it in with all the others, she will never know ;)
It is the delivery, normally I am home before her, now we are both home. I can get the bag dirty and say I started using one of the old ones ;)

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Guess what arrived today? :) My wife has not seen, I need to get the box into the garage to be safe.

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You sound like most of us photographers Don....

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've found it much easier since giving up being married!

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Biggest challenge when getting a new camera bag, especially a different design one, figuring out a decent layout. I have two Kata (now Manfrotto) sling bags (I do not really like the main access, too small) that adjust to backpacks, a small backpack, a shoulder bag that came with one camera as a bonus item, a Vanguard one that is a backpack but has an odd layout, and now this one. Looking at photos online to get ideas.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You know what I do not like about the waist traps on backpacks? If you are a bit overweight they make you look far worse :(

loki

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
i ditched camera bags years ago and switched to a regular backpack and lens wraps. the bag that is currently my dedicated camera bag is a 5.11 covrt 18, which is a great bag apart from the silly velcro strips down each shoulder strap. it's big enough to hold a sony a7r4 and 200-600mm, fuji 50r with attached lens and another lens or two, and keeps the gear close enough to the body that it doesn't feel heavy.

the north face recon backpack was pretty good at keeping things close to the body too, but i didn't like the slanted bottom and eventually my gear outgrew the bag.

for security when traveling i'll either intertwine the zipper pulls or put a small travel lock on the zippers.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
for security when traveling i'll either intertwine the zipper pulls or put a small travel lock on the zippers.
That might keep young kids out, but it won't keep anyone else out. :oops:

loki

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
That might keep young kids out, but it won't keep anyone else out. :oops:
no, but i'm pretty sure i'll feel it when they start messing around with my bag. honestly, they're more likely to start messing around with your bag since it looks like a camera bag, mine is just a typical backpack.

Skyshot

Here a lot
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I grew up in London and although very streetwise and precautious, I have still had a sports bag and a jacket pocket slashed by a razor and not felt a thing. Luckily, I was sensible enough not to be carrying anything valuable in either, so nothing was lost except the cost of the jacket and bag.

loki

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
this stuff is a little heavier than normal since it's military spec. to get through to the main pocket they'd have to slash through at least 5 layers of heavy material, including the hidden concealed carry pocket with the velcro lining. i work in emergency dispatch and live in a high crime state, i'm well aware that anyone can get into anything, but i also know that most criminals go for the easy route unless they're hopped up on something.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I was going to go give a test run (walk) yesterday but my wife had other ideas. I think I may go out shortly.