• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

Watching me, watching you

Paul-UK

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Pigeons everywhere

Camera Canon D5 Mark 4
Lens Tamron 150-600 - f5-6.3

Global settings were
- High speed 7fps
- AWB
- Evaluative Metering
- Manual Mode
- AF Tracking

1 - He wanted to steal the show, having just chased off the robin!

220511_A3177_Pigeon_1024_JPG.jpg

f/6.3 - 1/400 - ISO 800 - 600mm

2 - Pigeon watching from a gap in a conifer tree

220511_A3268_Pigeon_1024_JPG.jpg

f/6.3 - 1/500 - ISO 1000 - 600mm

3 - Pigeon hiding in another large fir tree

220511_A3274_Pigeon_1024_JPG.jpg

f/6.3 - 1/125, ISO 1000 - 600mm

All images have been cropped, they are all taken from the comfort of our sun lounge towards the bottom of our garden and beyond the rear fence

I did struggle due to very overcast day, heavy cloud cover, but all images were in manual mode, I couldn't get lower than f/6.3 which might have helped DOF on two shots, but other than that not all settings are the same on each. I am trying.

Comments and criticism welcome as always, composition, exposure, camera settings, anything you feel would have helped me make the photos better. A bird on a branch it chooses is not always the branch we would like it on, have I cropped enough?

Paul

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The first two are really good. The last one is a bit blurry, likely due to motion blur, probably could have used a higher shutter speed.

Paul-UK

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The first two are really good. The last one is a bit blurry, likely due to motion blur, probably could have used a higher shutter speed.
Thanks for picking up the motion blur David,

I was sat in my Lazboy chair in the sun lounge, the camera on the tripod, mainly taking shots at the bottom of the garden around the bird station, shot 1.

Then I saw the pigeon in a tree to the rear left, shot 2, I should have raised the camera more on the tripod, to look upwards, but just got my head to view and shoot before it flew away. I then saw shot 3, this pigeon was in the large fir tree, at the right bottom corner, knowing that I just got the shot 2 before the pigeon flew I felt I had to get this last one before it flew away. Not able to get low due to my hip and back issues I changed to the live view and thought I just got the shot, hence the movement you see. I should have seen that when cropping the image but was trying to balance the variances in focus and colours and try get a reasonable composition.

Thanks again for pointing this out it is really appreciated.