1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Watermarking

Discussion in 'Photography Chat Forum' started by NeilP, Aug 10, 2018.

1. NeilP

NeilP Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I will need to share a couple of images in the coming days over social media, is it a good idea to watermark?

what would be a good watermark? something like Photography by Neil?

Where would you place the watermark?

TIA

2. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    If you share it, someone will "borrow" it. Many of my shots are watermarked in the lower right corner, but those are only the ones that I want to make sure get my name out. If someone's going to steal it, they'll crop off the watermark or cover it up some way. Other than that I make sure the file size and quality are low enough to prevent making sharp prints from them.

Oh, and I use "Roger Simmons Photography" as the watermark.

3. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Yes watermark (it gets your name out there) ... I put mine in one of the four corners, but as Roger states they can be cropped or cloned out .... always post at low file size.
    Paul

4. Blofeld

Blofeld Forum Photobomber Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I don't bother with watermarks, they don't really prevent people trying to use them images unless they are big enough and ugly enough to ruin the image, in which case there's no point posting the image.
    Keep image size and resolution low. If you're really that worried about someone stealing your work, just don't post it.... that's the only way to prevent it.

5. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    This is what I have done for quite a long time. Visible but not dominating.

SS4.jpg

Images are saved at 1200px so they look quite good on an iPad and max of 165Kb so that printing is not good. Since I included the Screenshots NOT Permitted there have been many less nicked copies of my photographs appearing on Facebook pages - before, when I only had Copyright, that still seemed to mean free for all. People seem to require spoon feeding these days.

Most of my competitors plaster copyright marks all over the images but this means you cannot really see what you're buying.

6. Ozzie_Traveller

Ozzie_Traveller Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    G'day Snips

I applaud both your approach and explanation
    10/10

Phil from the great land Downunder

Snips likes this.
  7. rob.tolley77

rob.tolley77 Active Member Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    To be honest, I don't watermark any of my images, especially if they are on my website.
    As Blofeld says a watermark isn't going to stop someone someone "borrowing" it. Plus I don't disable "right-clicking" on my website as that, in my opinion belies a sense of mistrust. I don't even watermark my images posted on social media. I feel watermarks detract from the subject in the image, not matter where you put them. I always think that if you're that worried about your images being stolen, don't post them in the first place.