1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Website Hosting Help

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by Rob Hudson, Jan 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The classic question! I can see that it hasn't been posted for at least almost a year though, so here goes...

I am currently trying to get serious about my photography. Over the next few years I would like to progress from amateur to professional, having my work allow me to continue my travels and adventures.

I have created a new Instagram account and am currently trying to do the same with Tumblr and my own website. Most likely Flickr too.

I know there are a lot of restrictions regarding free hosting, but people have talked about paying just a little bit to get what seems like a lot. Are there any recommendations and what would be a decent monthly or yearly budget? I know I need to "speculate to accumulate", but I am currently saving every penny I can and so don't want to throw large amounts of money at anything unnecessary.

I have seen that ViewBug now has it's own hosting service. It currently comes in at 58.oo GBP if you purchase an annual subscription. Has anyone had any experience with this and is that a decent price?

Where else can I look? Bear in mind that one outcome I'd like is to have my own domain name... the one I want is available!

Thanks in advance!!

2. Dean M

Dean M Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    i purchased a .com from one on one.. came with a free .co.uk cost me around a tenner.. combined that with a free weebly account which allows for domain forwarding and gave me a half reasonable website with my own domain for the above mentioned £10... doing it that way gives plenty of scope to get a site up and running cheaply while using a domain you will be sticking with until such time as you can migrate to a better web host

3. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Having sung the praises of Zenfolio I am now looking elsewhere. They've lost the plot in various areas and many of us are seeking alternatives. I think most of us are just waiting (hopefully!!) to see if another company comes along to match them. The closest I've seen so far is Shootproof but this one might well suit my needs better than yours. SmugMug seems good. All three of these companies offer hosting as well as plenty of flexibility on page design.

Re the price, as ever, the more you pay the better the service. Except Zenfolio!

4. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  5. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Now this is worth investigating - not come across this one before. Thank you!

And a few hours later ... I've just spoken to the MD and am now excited and about to start a trial. HUGE thank you, John - at the moment this looks like a great replacement to Zenfolio

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    spuriosity and balami like this.
  6. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I spoke to them at a recent show and was impressed with their packages. I may well subscribe later in the year.
    Keep us updated Ed!

Snips likes this.
  7. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have signed up with Unlimited Web Hosting UK and was able to score my desired domain name and (hence the name) unlimited hosting for what I think is a very reasonable price... If I can afford it, then it must be! But I do like the look of The Image File and with everyone getting excited, I may well check it out too!

8. wraggtime

wraggtime Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I use smugmug, I’m on the second tear on pricing which is about £60 a year but if you look you can usually find a discount code for them to get it cheaper.
    My main reason for using them is that they have full page websites which look great on big pc or Mac’s.
    They are also affiliated with go daddy who can help with the purchase of domain names and can help link the two together.
    I know nothing about IT or web building but here is what I have been able to do with smugmug templates:

www.davephoto.uk

9. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Dave! I really like your site! I've already gone ahead with WordPress and Unlimited Web Hosting, but I may have forked out a bit for SmugMug if I'd seen that first... almost exactly what I'm after!

10. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    I'm signing up next week! Zenfolio subscription expires in March so should have enough time to transfer 40k+ photos across :)

balami likes this.