1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Website Hosting

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by Danny159, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Danny159

Danny159 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hey guys,

Here again to offer some web hosting! Currently a few forum members use me for their hosting so just thought id post again.

Your website will be hosted on a Linux server, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, multiple disks in RAID.
    The data centre is located in Kent, UK and has full power backup and full security!

The server is run monitored and managed 24/7/365
    Support if offered by phone & email

So lets get down to what you get...

The One Plan
    HDD: Unlimited (5GB Fair Use but if you need more ask!)
    Bandwidth: Unmetered (No cap)
    mySQL Databases: Unlimited
    Email Accounts: Unlimited
    Everything else...... Unlimited....

ONLY £5.00/month
    OR We will BEAT your current hosting plan....

For more details please contact me on daniel(AT)roizer.com replace (AT) with @ or PM me on the forum and I will be happy to help!

Daniel

Forgot to say payment via Paypal

2. big frankie

big frankie Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Have you any examples Daniel?

3. Danny159

Danny159 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    How do you mean examples? - I can set you up a demo account for 2 weeks if you wish?

Dan

4. big frankie

big frankie Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Maybe some examples of web sites you've done etc.

5. Danny159

Danny159 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This isn't a design offer, it's hosting, server space for people to put their website on... Sorry

6. EOSNovice

EOSNovice Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ooh, this is interesting and I am just thinking about a website but have absolutely no idea how it works in terms of hosting and photo gallery storage etc....

7. Danny159

Danny159 Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Drop me an email or post on here some questions you may have and I will explain how things work :)
    Dan

8. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Hi Dan,

I am currently looking to set up my own website. I have an idea of how I want it to look... do you just offer hosting or do you have software that I can use to design and edit the site too? Will I be able to have my own domain name?

Apologies in advance, I am very uneducated when it comes to creating websites... treat me like you're teaching your Grandma Facebook!

9. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This guy hasn't logged in since 2013.

You can get unlimited web hosting from (no really) https://www.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk/
    I am one that uses these people.
    You can buy your own domains (I have another provider for those but no doubt they offer that too) and install Wordpress or Woomla etc that allows you to author your own site. Also Email etc.

10. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thanks Tenchy! This is really helpful! I have seen that WordPress offer hosting and web design for 3 GBP p/m (36 GBP p/y) and I can have my own domain. I can't exactly see how to install it, it appears as though it's all online? Would say this was a good deal though? It sounds similar to what you have, especially price-wise, but all seems to be done from one place!!

11. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    sounds similar. I would research what limitations they have on the wordpress site.
    with unlimited I have at least four or 5 websites on there. a few of mine and a couple for other people.
    With unlimited you do it most online but you also have FTP access which comes in very useful if the website goes tits up, which I have had (operator error mostly). But as said I buy and control my domains elsewhere as I had a domain account before I signed up with unlimited.
    @paulmag is another user who makes good use of them.

12. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Thank you again Tenchy! Your advice is so helpful! But OK... So I'm very new to this... I've figured that;

1. I need to register a domain (I've found .com domains for around 10 - 12 GBP p/y, which I think is a good price?)
    2. I need web hosting to act as a server that stores my site and all the files on there? So unlimited for 3 GBP p/m sounds pretty good!!
    3. I need to build a website, the most recommended option seems to be WordPress. But I can't work out how to install that on a MacBook. There was also an advertised add on called Photocrati that offered templates for photographers... But it looks expensive, so not worth it for now?

13. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    1. yes. there are several about mostly about the same price. some a lot more too! I use 123-reg.co.uk I tend to get the .co, .co.uk, and the newer .uk version of each domain. Once you have a domain in your control panel you tell it where to point to the physical files on a server somewhere.

2. yes, hosting stores the files that you point the domain name to.

3. once you have the hosting you go online in the hosting control panel and you can install wordpress to create a website (installing wordpress creates a default website) and tell it which of your domains to associate with that website. This is done by browser. You then log intot the wordpress dashboard and create there. that is also browser based. It can be all done on a browser. There are about 3 billion templates for wordpress (that might not even be an exaggeration! ) and a massive amount are free. The actual hardest part of wordpress is choosing which one LOL. (they are called themes) you can install one, try it, try another. I used to have a free one that was absolutely completely customisable you could change anything. But there were SO many options and places, I could never find the same setting bloody twice LOL. I have gone for pretty simple on mine. (the first and last icon in my signature are two sites)

There's probably 20 billion youtube videos on doing wordpress too. Like photoshop, there are different ways to skin the same cat. Just find one where you don't cut yourself :)

14. Rob Hudson

Rob Hudson Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is so, so, so unbelievably helpful! Thank you so much!!!

One last question.... I am about to purchase web hosting from your recommendation. Is there a difference between "with cPanel" or "with Plesk"? They are both the same price with exactly the same offerings... Just wondered if one is more suitable for a portfolio type site?

tenchy likes this.
  15. tenchy

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They are just variations on the design/syle of the top level control panel. I'm not sure which mine is, plesk I think.
    You actually rarely need to log into that after the start. Once you have a wordpress installation you use that instead. Its a master control panel. You'd go there to add a new website. Either will do and are same price.

16. Phill104

Phill104 Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add something.

I’ve worked in IT almost all of my working life. I have also as well as. My main job worked on large open source projects (Coppermine photo gallery is probably the most relevant here) as well as providing support for a large Joomla and Wordpress template provider. In all those years the most common mistake I see is when buying a domain. Never, let a web designer buy your domain for you and never use your hosting company as the registrar of your domain. Always register your domain separately and under your own name. As has already been mentioned, 123reg are a very good option.

I see and hear about so many people being held to ransom over their domain name each week that it makes me cringe to think people are still getting stung. Just last week a web hosting company folded leaving hundreds of small businesses in trouble. Those who had their domain registered elsewhere could very quickly save their web presence, those that didn’t were stuffed. That is just one example of many. I’ve spent the last few days trying to help some of these people and while I have made some money out of it I would honestly rather have not had to.

DonS, Rob Hudson, Snips and 1 other person like this.