1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Website/portfolio

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by Ben John's, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben John's

Ben John's Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Been wanting to get into fine art photography and selling my work for a while now, finally got round to make a website/portfolio. Any feedback would be much appreciated http://benjohns.squarespace.com

2. balami

balami Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Had a quick look (so forgive the brief comments).

Clean and tidy presentation. I wouldn't put my email address on a web page - you'll get spammed to death as bots harvest it. You might want to think about how you present your photos - as the numbers grow, the pages will become very long indeed - consider thumbnails linking to bigger images ?

Hope that helps as a start.

3. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Lovely photographs on there and I like the white background and tidy text.

For me it's not actually showing anything and needs some words - perhaps something about you or the photographs themselves. This will also help in the SEO world.

4. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It's clean and sharp, but to me it seems too simple. There is nothing to indicate why the images are there, or who owns them. Yes, it says Ben Johns as a title but that's it. Perhaps start by changing the title itself to something like "Fine Art Photography By Ben Johns".

5. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm with Roger on this one, that I find it too simple. There's not a lot on the site at all, and one thing with the site is that it's presentation is as equally important as the content on it. There is a balance on a website where there is "just right" in structure, then "too much"; but at the same time yours is verging on the other end of the spectrum where it's too little.

One of the things with a site, is that if the end user of it doesn't think you've put in an effort to the construction of it then they really won't be bothered with it. A lot of people who use websites will look at that more than the content sadly. Another thing is, it's too clinical and there's nothing to indicate that you are a person/photographer or just someone who's collected images from somewhere and stuck them on a dump page (and using a freebie service, that's where it looks at the moment).

What I'd be doing with this, would be 1) More content/structure, 2) Personalise it and make it feel like it belongs to someone and 3) A proper contact form.

The last bit, may not sound much but there's the spam thing that was mentioned above, but also the users... Just having a hotmail address (or any other freebie e-mail address) and having that as your main point of contact for a money venture will have a negative effect on what you are trying to get because people don't trust them.

I know this all may sound heavy, but a website is your shop front to be honest, and people on a high street are more likely to look at a shop (and ultimately go in) if the window of that shop is well presented and looks good. Same thing applies to websites really.

6. Ben John's

Ben John's Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    No doesn't sound heavy at all, first attempt at a site of this type so any feedback is appreciated. I was planning at doing a contact form at some point, might be more important than I thought. Regarding things like an 'about' page or sentences about the photos, those are things that have never come easy to me. Writing about myself isn't something I like so I had hoped I could either put it off or not bother with it but it seems like I will have to have a go...yay lol

SeanNeedham, Roger S and balami like this.
  7. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As for the about page, easiest way to do it is get someone else to write it. With work, I have to implement a lot of "biography" blurb for folk, so generally I get someone else to write it for them. Same with me, a lot of what I'd consider "personal information" I didn't write it, either my best mate did or my other half!

8. DonS

DonS Stuck in Toronto Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Are not afraid of a bio that says "Cannot hold his liquor and never picks up his dirty socks"? :grin:

9. SeanNeedham

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    At least it'd be honest... As for the former, not a problem don't drink any more, as for the latter I don't have to, they magically vanish on their own!

DonS likes this.
  10. Andy325i

Andy325i Well-Known Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    It says website expired :(

11. Roger S

Roger S Crazy Canuck Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    'Tis true, which is why this thread is moot now.

Andy325i likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.