• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

WEEKLY CHALLENGE FOR WEEK ENDING FRIDAY 8/2/2013 - Leaves

borofan

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here we go again!

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Aye!!!

Daffodils F 1655 800.jpg

One from this morning.

:smile:

Caljones92

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Can't wait to finish work so I can get out with the camera, looking forward to entering these competitions :)!! I think leaves will bring up some interesting images lol.

borofan

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Aye!!!

One from this morning.

:smile:
You nearly have daffodils!! Not showed their heads much here! When I first saw the image I thought - shrub, leaves, left! Nice shot Edward. Perhaps clone out the stone bottom right and the twig(?) bottom left?

borofan

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Can't wait to finish work so I can get out with the camera, looking forward to entering these competitions :)!! I think leaves will bring up some interesting images lol.
This particular thread is not a competition in the sense that there is a winner. It is simply a bit of fun to see how others tackle the topic and to encourage us to take pictures every week. Look forward to your pictures.

Caljones92

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
This particular thread is not a competition in the sense that there is a winner. It is simply a bit of fun to see how others tackle the topic and to encourage us to take pictures every week. Look forward to your pictures.
No that's great :), sorry competition was the wrong word lol... Challenge.

Haripaul

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
For a bit of fun

Attachments

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
You nearly have daffodils!! Not showed their heads much here! When I first saw the image I thought - shrub, leaves, left! Nice shot Edward. Perhaps clone out the stone bottom right and the twig(?) bottom left?
Thank you, Mike! All those "blobs", including those among the daffodils, are last autumn's leaves. :smile:
(They're much clearer and unmistakeable on the larger image.)

Nice, Paul. I wondered if someone would "do a shot" like that.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice one paul

:) Blobs

IMG_7456-1.jpg

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Likeable blobs!! :smile:

borofan

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Here are two from me. may do more if time permits:

Leaves 1.JPG

First go at high key photography but is it OK?

Leaves 2.jpg

Last edited:

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
And another
IMG_7454-1.jpg

Caljones92

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
First time I've shot with a theme behind the pictures, hope these are ok lol.image.jpg image.jpg

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
They're fine, Cal!! The oak leaf is really good!!

Did you spend all last week polishing those ivy leaves, Mike? :smile:

Great idea with the book and a nicely executed photograph too! If you've time and can be bothered, would you mind saying how you did that? I'm intrigued.

Nice one, Paul - new pushing out the old. :smile:

mini_mad

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
does the image need to be taken during the week?

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We sort of gave up on the strictness of the rules but I know Mike and I are doing these on a timely basis.

(Other posters have as well but I'm not sure how many are posting every week - oh, golly, I'm sounding like a right anorak!!)

borofan

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
does the image need to be taken during the week?
I guess it doesn't really matter but I did start this idea initially as a private challenge but others became interested. For me the idea was to find a reason to go and take pictures every week and that, so far, is what I have done. I believe others have too. However, the purpose of sharing is to to see what how others have treat the subject so it is up to you really!

borofan

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
They're fine, Cal!! The oak leaf is really good!!

Did you spend all last week polishing those ivy leaves, Mike? :smile:

Great idea with the book and a nicely executed photograph too! If you've time and can be bothered, would you mind saying how you did that? I'm intrigued.

Nice one, Paul - new pushing out the old. :smile:

I like the oak leaf too with the nice contrasting colours. I might just have cropped a bit off the top to remove the bit of green in the top right corner.

Honest I never polished those leaves! I saw them yesterday in nice sunlight when out with the dogs but hadn't taken a camera so I went again today but it was very grey. I just took it with my compact with on board flash. Didn't turn out too bad. The one with the book was very simply taken. I tried a number of variations with and without flash and opted for this one. It was taken in natural light coming from over my left shoulder. The book was on the dining table on a white cloth and the wall behind was a light lemony colour (I don't know why that has come up pinkish!). The exposure was 30 seconds at f/22 ISO 100 with me standard 50mm lens. I think the only thing I did was tweak the contrast and levels in ACR plus a crop. Hope that helps. It is my first attempt at anything so high key, if indeed that counts as high key!

grisabella

Always on
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
ok here mine :)

yellow-leaves1web.jpg

yellowbnweaves3web.jpg

yellowinvert-leaves2web.jpg

Caljones92

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I guess it doesn't really matter but I did start this idea initially as a private challenge but others became interested. For me the idea was to find a reason to go and take pictures every week and that, so far, is what I have done. I believe others have too. However, the purpose of sharing is to to see what how others have treat the subject so it is up to you really!
I agree when you say it gives a reason to go out and take pictures every week... The weekly challenge is a very good idea, I was looking forward to the next weekly challenge so I could go out and challenge myself with a theme, and can't wait for the next one so I can go out and do it again lol! It's good practice for me as I'm a beginner.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice Bex Lightbox I assume

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The top/middle one looks like it's 3D, Bex! And what a photo!!

Thank you, Mike, re-explaining the book. I might try that this week as my other strobe stuff is failing me at the moment. (I believe you re polishing!! :smile: )

borofan

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The top/middle one looks like it's 3D, Bex! And what a photo!!

Thank you, Mike, re-explaining the book. I might try that this week as my other strobe stuff is failing me at the moment. (I believe you re polishing!! :smile: )
I need to do more flashing :doofus: and am not sure where to start! I have a flash which I can move off the camera with a cord. I also have two small slave Ebay (neewer brand) flashes which are ok but low powered. No triggers. What route are you trying? PM me if you like

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Mine's a simple set up! I've a Yongnuo 460 and a couple of RC603 triggers.

After that it's hit and miss with many more misses than (hardly any) hits! :smile: