• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

Welcome, ekjdm14 Please tell us a little bit about yourself here.

Stemmy

Always on
Super Admin
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Welcome to Photography Forum, @ekjdm14. Please use this thread to introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your photography experience.

You can also post any forum related questions here and we will happily help you settle in.

ekjdm14

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Good Evening & thank you for the (automated?) welcome!

Glad to be here, I've not really been "into" photography for a good few years although I did attend Northwich Camera Club with my grandparents back in the mid to late '90s & was a "reasonable" shot with my SLR (IIRC it was a Canon EOS 500n).
My primary interests are more towards engineering/mechanics and repairing pretty much anything that catches my attention as being worth saving whether for it's usefulness, historic value or simply the beauty I see in the way something is made.

Having said this, the main reason for my joining here is because we picked up a large quantity of older ('40s through '80s) cameras as part of an auction lot purchased for something else recently. The cameras are a mixture of a few 35mm compacts, around 10/12 Polaroid Land Cameras of varying eras & a larger quantity of medium-format 120 cameras. Sadly they are, for the most part, in poor shape with lots of moisture damage and corrosion but the "pre-damp-storage" conditions appear to have been very reasonable for a lot of them & there are a good few that I'd like to bring back to a functioning and cosmetically reasonable state.

I'm obviously aware that this isn't a "for-profit" venture, and indeed it's unlikely I'd sell the ones I spend more time on since I like them for their look and feel. May even get the itch to run a few rolls of film through them eventually (I will likely clean up and move on the Polaroid cameras since they appeal less to me) but for now I'm simply in the process of researching techniques & hoping to find like-minded people to share my experiences of rehabilitating these old instruments.

I'll have a search in the Film and Vintage area shortly & probably start a thread there for the first "victim", an Ilford Sportsman which appears to have been brand new complete with it's original box and instruction leaflet. (Which has survived better than the camera itself, wish it'd been put back in the box but such is life!) There's pretty extensive corrosion to the alloy body which has disintegrated the leatherette mostly & got underneath the paint in a lot of places, fortunately the damage is mostly confined to the exterior with only a tiny blemish to the lower film rail to worry there. The lens/shutter assembly is functional but in need of a clean and lube, as are the winding gears but this is fairly simple for me. The hardest part for me will be the cosmetics, mainly sourcing a self-adhesive leatherette similar to the original.

I'll stop rambling on now, and try to post photo's in the appropriate area when I get some.

Cheers, Dan

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.
Sound like quite the undertaking, we have a few members with a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to vintage film cameras so you're in the right place.

ekjdm14

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you, it's certainly a challenge although a welcome one. The main obstacle I have to overcome is remembering to be gentle and have a light touch since I'm more used to more "robust" machinery like cars & bikes, I imagine that this is much more akin to jeweler or watchmaker! So far so good though. Here (hopefully) are a few snaps of the camera frame/body as it sits, and the box & booklet it came with. Seeing as this is primarily a photography forum I did make the merest hint of an effort at composition but they are just snaps really, taken on my partner's Samsung Galaxy A10S for what it's worth... (Oh, less photo's than I thought... Most of them come up as "too large for the server to process" & I'm not really a fan of hosting sites but will have a go at sorting it tomorrow. For now, best get some sleep).

Attachments

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Welcome to the forum!

tenchy

Rain maker