1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

What Canvas Size to use

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Editing Chat Forum' started by dfranco, Jan 9, 2018.

1. dfranco

dfranco New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I had an interesting issue the other day, a client wanted a photo sized to 20x30, but when I changed the canvas size and uploaded the photo, I could see large spaces of black on all sides of the image. When I tried to resize the image using Free Transform the image was distorted. How can I change the size with out being distorted? Also, in future, when taking photos, what can I do in order to be able to resize any photo to any size I want?

2. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    What size is your original image

Andy 0 likes this.
  3. Andy 0

Andy 0 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    This is the crtical factor, it's a 3:2 ratio so that's pretty standard for most DSLRs but some cameras will still try and shoot in odd ratios.

4. dfranco

dfranco New Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    My image size is 19.817 Inches by 13.23 Inches. Being a beginner, I just took the photo, then uploaded into lightroom, adjusted some colors etc and saved it. I always thought you could print any size, its worrying that a client may want a poster size print and cant deliver!

5. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    There is no reason then why this shouldn't resize to 30x20 .... quality will depend on file size of the original.
    Are you in the UK?

6. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    As long as the aspect ratio remains the same, you can print to whatever size you want. As you increase the size beyond what the sensor produced you will increasingly lose resolution.

Fortunately, the aspect ratio your client wants matches your original so you can reduce the pixels per inch which makes the pixels and image larger and/or add new pixels (interpolation) both of which are available with most editors.

7. GJ Vernon

GJ Vernon Account Closed

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The transform / distort tool is not the one to use as the image can degrade noticeably using this method.. your original image is already 3:2 ratio so all you need to do is go to "image size" and type in the new width and height in inches, choose the best re-sampling method which would normally be bicubic (bicubic smooth if there are a few noise issues) and set the resolution which is usually retained from lightroom @ 300 ppi.
    Regarding the second part of the question, no you cannot just create any new aspect ratio from the original sensor size without losing some image information, and for example if you going for a 30x20 canvas, you will usually need extra space for the wrap so the size become 34x24 inches.. The key is to allow space around any subject which gives you latitude when cropping for a new aspect ratio..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. gaelldew

gaelldew Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    @defranco Why not go to this thread and introduce yourself, have a look at the posts at the top too.

Who Are You ??

9. john.margetts.ph

john.margetts.ph Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The black is down to you changing the canvas size instead of the image size. This means that you have a larger canvas but with the same size image as before. You need to change the image size and leave the canvas size alone - the canvas will change itself to suit.

MikeB and Andy 0 like this.