• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

What is this camera?

jdubyoo

Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Hi all,

Today my grandpa gave me some of his old photography stuff. It was a lot of flash lights, and some film nikon cameras. It was cool, but the neatest thing he offered was this old 46mm camera. He didn't give much information on it, but that when he started using it, it was 10-20 years old. There's a notcard taped to the inside that has notes on repairs that were done in the mid 70s, so it's most likely around 50 years old. I assume its a photography camera, but again I'm not too sure.

The reason I'm looking for help identifying this camera is because there is no manufacturer label anywhere on the camera that I can find. That makes it extremely hard to try and serach online. I'm interested to see how old it is, its worth, and stuff like that. From my searches online, i can't find anything that looks like it. For all I know, it could be homemade.

Below is an imgur link to some photos I took of it. If that's not allowed, I can attach the photo files to the post.

MikeB

Traveler
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Very cool. This looks to be a purpose-built twin lens reflex camera designed and built by Roberts Studio that uses reel film to take portrait photos - lots of portrait photos, like individual photos of students. Studio cameras do not need to be lightweight and portable. Most studio cameras used a bellows to focus the lens, but if you are taking one kind of photo only, such as head shots, then you can use a simple fixed-focus camera such as this.

The camera has two objective lenses of the same focal length. The Wollensak Series II, f/4.5 Raptar lens with Alphax shutter is the photographic lens, the nondescript lens on the upper left (facing the camera) is used to verify focus. The camera had a fixed focal distance of between 43-44 inches.

I'm not sure what the 46mm refers to. It could be the film (127 type), but then the sprocket for advancing the film confuses me. It may use standard 35mm film.

The Wollensak Series II Raptar f/4.5 lens was marketed from 1951 onward so I assume that the camera was built in the 1950s. Your grandfather may have purchased it used.

As far as value, probably not much. The lens itself probably has the greatest value but even that is limited and it may need maintenance as the shutter appears stuck. It would have greatest value to the heirs of Roberts Studio or to the local museum where the studio was located. As a camera, I wouldn't touch it and its too big for a paper weight.

Here's information on the Wollensak lens

Last edited: