• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

What size to actually print?

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I have the Canon Pro-100 that will do 13x19 prints. I was looking for what mat size to get for this and ran across people saying they never actually print the full size, but do 12x18. Part of this was the availability of frames and mats. I was wondering what those that print more than I, and I plan to print more, do.

Much of the printing I plan to do is for entries into my camera club competitions.

-Oy-

When I printed at home (I print online now) my standard was 16x12" - mounted at 20x16". This is also the standard size for camera clubs here in the UK.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
When I printed at home (I print online now) my standard was 16x12" - mounted at 20x16". This is also the standard size for camera clubs here in the UK.
16X12 is a standard 4:3 ratio and mattes are readily available.
Hmmm that size was not mentioned by anyone. I had planned to print to the paper size, there is no standard for clubs here, at least not ours.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Follow up dumb question: are mats measured on the inside or the outside?

Ozzie_Traveller

Old Hand
Premium Member
G'day Don

You seem to have struck the age-old dilemma that modern film / sensor proportions no longer match those of 100 yrs ago - and thus frames do not match your / our requirements.

We no longer use 4" x 5" sheet film - so the need for a frame of 8" x 10" is next to useless

120 roll film cameras gave a neg of 6cm x 9cm followed by all 35mm negs also using a 2:3 format - leading to the 4" x 6" print being so successful, until we had computer screens and early model sensors setup for 4:3 format [from the 800px x 600px screen sizes]. To my knowledge there are zero commercial frames of 12" x 9" to match the 4:3 computer screen format

What I have had to do for years now, is to buy the best frame(s) I can get hold of and print my stuff to match that frame - usings a cutter / scissors to downsize the paper to fit the frame

Phil

imagesBV

I also have a similar A3+ Canon....I bought a mount cutter, rule and knife for the price of a memory card.

I like to be able to make the whole thing, take the picture, edit, print, make the mount....though I do buy a frame if I need one.

Petrochemist

Always on
G'day Don

You seem to have struck the age-old dilemma that modern film / sensor proportions no longer match those of 100 yrs ago - and thus frames do not match your / our requirements.

We no longer use 4" x 5" sheet film - so the need for a frame of 8" x 10" is next to useless

120 roll film cameras gave a neg of 6cm x 9cm followed by all 35mm negs also using a 2:3 format - leading to the 4" x 6" print being so successful, until we had computer screens and early model sensors setup for 4:3 format [from the 800px x 600px screen sizes]. To my knowledge there are zero commercial frames of 12" x 9" to match the 4:3 computer screen format

What I have had to do for years now, is to buy the best frame(s) I can get hold of and print my stuff to match that frame - usings a cutter / scissors to downsize the paper to fit the frame

Phil
While we don't use the fixed historical sizes by default, it's much easier cropping images today. I'll often crop with the frame size in mind, or simply have more of the image background hidden by the mount.
It does seem odd that more mounts aren't available in the common 3:2 & 4:3 formats. At least A4 aperture ones are readily available which suits many people who print their own (and those wanting to frame certificates).

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I also have a similar A3+ Canon....I bought a mount cutter, rule and knife for the price of a memory card.

I like to be able to make the whole thing, take the picture, edit, print, make the mount....though I do buy a frame if I need one.
I may have to, but mat cutters are expensive here.

Kevin (ksdg01)

I no longer print at home and use adoramapix.com or mpix.com and I'm happier for it
My photo frames are in 2:3 ratio ranging in size from: 8x12 to 16X24 inches
With new prints I just put it in the frame and place the older print behind it for safe keeping.
What rules do your photo club stipulate in regards to matting and printing and framing?
I was recently looking at a photo competition and here are their rules:
Untitled-1.jpg

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
I just got the Pro-100 last Christmas, I need to use it to justify it :)

Our club has no rules for size or mounting or anything except a form on the back with name, etc, and which way is up :)

You are starting to print your own. I want to suggest you also learn to make your own matts. You will enjoy having total creative control. It's not difficult once you master the math and practice on a few boards. Then you can cut that panoramic 6x19 mat when you need it. It also allows you to play with width and find out what your eye likes. Find a local teacher to help you get started, it won't take long and you'll be making your own.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
You are starting to print your own. I want to suggest you also learn to make your own matts. You will enjoy having total creative control. It's not difficult once you master the math and practice on a few boards. Then you can cut that panoramic 6x19 mat when you need it. It also allows you to play with width and find out what your eye likes. Find a local teacher to help you get started, it won't take long and you'll be making your own.
Honestly, no, no I would not enjoy it. I really do not want to cut my own mats. I am ONLY doing this because the judges for the competitions, all trained from the same source here, judge on "presentation" and without a mat it is not presented. I think that is all a bunch of bullhookey. I think they should be mounted on white or black foamcore backing and that is it. Since I am trying to work within someone else's parameters I want to do a little possible to do this.