• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

What to do when officially an OAP

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
You have to get a hobby.............try something you have not done before.

So I looked for something where I could make stuff using new skills so after some thought and viewing a few youtube videos I decided to have a crack at leatherworking ..well why not.

I produced all my stuff from scratch and after 3 iterations for a small battery case I ended up with the design below for my fuji batteries.

Fuji battery case by Paul Magyar, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

ed taylor

Super Ed
Super Moderator
A stitch in time saves nine Paul. They do look very good quality. Nice work. We all will want a case for our batteries soon.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Well that looks neat and nice Paul. How did u do the stitches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Nicely done, they look professional. Now you need to open an Etsy store and sell them :)

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Well that looks neat and nice Paul. How did u do the stitches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used a box stitch which is a saddle stitch at an angle so there is no stitching on the inside and joins butted up leather it is one of the more difficult stitches to start with but makes a neat case one which i am happier with than my previous gusseted and attempt at wet forming both worked ok but added to much bulk for me.

Thanks for all your comments much appreciated .....us old uns need encouraging

imagesBV

That does look like a very well crafted product.
I bought the basic gear to do book binding - idea being to make a really good photo album......maybe even offer to make bespoke wedding albums....but I just don't have the time at present. Your skills here would lend to nice leather covers.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
That does look like a very well crafted product.
I bought the basic gear to do book binding - idea being to make a really good photo album......maybe even offer to make bespoke wedding albums....but I just don't have the time at present. Your skills here would lend to nice leather covers.
Thanks I have now expanded my "hobbies" to include knife making I was driven to it when I saw a knife I liked would have cost me about £200 delivered as I served an apprenticeship as a tool and diemaker (started work about the same day as the first moon landing so 50yrs ago)

Made a couple of versions of the knife below in O1 tool steel ...makes a nice blade and keeps its edge.

knife right handed.jpg

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Nice work.
I too have just started a new hobby. too.
Invested in a decent table saw. Watched too many YouTube videos but learnt loads.
just made 3 jigs for different cuts that I didn't know about.
Fun, ain't it. Learning is so much a great way to relax as a pensioner with the space and time at hand.
I can't believe how cheap tools are now.

Last edited:

gaelldew

Always on
Premium Member
Vicious looking tool that is Paul, I got a few woodworking tools and the one I like working best is my Router, Pete.

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Vicious looking tool that is Paul, I got a few woodworking tools and the one I like working best is my Router, Pete.
Not got a router yet Garth. I'm very much a novice, as all my life I fabricated everything in metal.
I was amazed how much you can do with a table saw and DIY jigs.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
Nice work.
Invested in a decent table saw. Watched too many YouTube videos but learnt loads.
Fun, ain't it. Learning is so much a great way to relax as a pensioner with the space and time at hand.
Stuff is a lot more available than it used to be Just bought myself a small bandsaw not as good as my old Startright I had but OK for wood after spending a bit of time fine tuning it.

I have a couple of routers very useful but if I can I prefer to use hand tools

oldgeezer

Always on
Premium Member
Stuff is a lot more available than it used to be Just bought myself a small bandsaw not as good as my old Startright I had but OK for wood after spending a bit of time fine tuning it.
I've got an old (carppy) one but I don't think it's much cop for wood. I would like a decent make bandsaw but not really sure I would use it.
i don't have an option for many hand tools, too many years using power tools have made my hands more of less useless for manual work of any significance.

paulmag

Always on
Honorary Life Member
I've got an old (carppy) one but I don't think it's much cop for wood. I would like a decent make bandsaw but not really sure I would use it.
i don't have an option for many hand tools, too many years using power tools have made my hands more of less useless for manual work of any significance.
My tennis elbow and arthritic hands dont help me i find hand sawing the most difficult so use a bandsaw and track saw

Last edited:

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Nice work.
I love making stuff. Especially designing it first. Collecting tools to do it is also part of the fun.

Lindsay Pennell

Premium Member
Marvellous stuff. And well done OP for that nice leatherwork.
I keep trying to retire but my dear wife doesn't want me to; I guess she doesn't;t want the drop in income etc. All my hobbies involve almost nil expenditure now, I've got everything I need for them but I just don't get to do them enough.