1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

What when & How.

Discussion in 'Photography & Camera Basics Forum' started by swiftflo, Oct 6, 2017.

1. swiftflo

swiftflo Old Hand Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Looking on You Tube I very often see photographers saying I am going to use .3 or.6 or.9 ND Grad for this shot. My question is is it just experience or what how they know which filter ti use , they also seem to know how long the exposure is so where do they get that info from

2. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    On the most part it starts with trial and error and using the camera to measure exposure initially and then tweaking with either exposure compensation or manual exposure adjustments. Because the camera is metering through the filter it will sort out the expisure as accurately as normal.

If you get into really long exposures with 10 stop filters then the camera's metering becomes useless once the filter is fitted so again it's trial and error until you get to a stage where you can guess exposure times within a stop or so and then make adjustments after the first expisure to fine tune.

3. Ramble Vision

Ramble Vision Mountain Climber Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    you get a feel for it. if I expose for the land then check my histo, that gives fairly good approximation of how over exposed the sky is, so I add the filter suite. usually works out about right

you can use in camera metering. just crank up the ISO until the meter reports the exposure is correct. the work out how many stops of iso you added. put it back to ISO100 and double 30 secs as many time as the stops you added. This will get you close enough to try a shot and have another tweak.

anything below 30 secs will meter OK as well of course.

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Way I do for grads it is to take one meter reading for the sky, then another from the ground and then sum the difference of stops then select which is the closest filter combination I've got to cover that differential.

5. Minor Problem

Minor Problem Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I've often tried the big stopper at wide apertures first to get the camera to work out an exposure before stopping down and I've even shot a few sub 30 second exposures wide open to test but always found them hopelessly underexposed even with the viewfinder shutter closed. Must be that the D800 light metering isn't very good at such low ev values.

I'll have to stick with guesswork and eyeballing the results or a 10 stop program (which still isn't very accurate as very few 10 stop filters are exactly 10 stops).

6. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham Ol' Sparky Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Nor do they take in to account sunrise or sunset, where depending what part of the day it is I'll either add or subtract 10% of the exposure time just to compensate for the light changes.

Minor Problem likes this.
  7. swiftflo

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  8. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Experience plays a large part, however the filter notation relates specifically to the amount of light (number of stops) that the filter blocks.

Unfortunately, different manufacturers use different notation. Here's a table from Wikipedia that shows the different notations and their effect blocking light. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral-density_filter)

ND Notation.JPG

If the light is two stops too bright for the setting your image demands than you may choose a filter that blocks 2 stops of light or an ND 0.6 filter

DonS and swiftflo like this.
  9. swiftflo

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  10. photodiva

photodiva Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    You can get an app on your phone to work out exposure times ...