• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

What's that Buzz

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The Bees were busy on the Miniature Foxglove

Trying to improve my shots, I thought these would be ideal

Camera - Canon d5 Mk4
Lens - Tamron 18-400mm f3.5/f6.3

220803_A4952_FoxGlove_Bee_1024-2jpg.jpg

Exif: 1/1000, f/7.1, ISO500, EV=0, FL 300, Spot Metering, Shutter Priority

Signature is in wrong corner. I am still playing with this in PS but hope to find a way to do it in LR

220803_A4994_FoxGlove_Bee2_LR_PS_1024sm.jpg

Exif: 1/1000, f/6.3, ISO500, EV=0, FL 400, Spot Metering, Shutter Priority

And on the Sunbelievables, the lawn was scorched due to no rain for 7 weeks but created a reasonable background Bokeh, I think

220803_A4975_SunFwr_Bee_PS_jpg.jpg

Exif: 1/1000, f/6.3, ISO500, EV=0, FL 400, Spot Metering, Shutter Priority

Full critic please, this is the nearest I have got so far, still not sharp enough me thinks. Due to quickness of moving the camera I am still trying hand held, maybe sat in front of these flowers I could try tripod.

I was all a buzz!!! Not on my own looking at it.

Paul

Last edited:

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice set Paul, that last one is spot on and a very enjoyable image.

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice set Paul, that last one is spot on and a very enjoyable image.

Blimey I didn't expect a comment like that Ryan, thank you.

I was quite chuffed but was still looking to pick holes in things. Should I have been on shutter priority, was the dof right or not, was spot metering the right choice should I have gone to next stage, etc. Every time I forget something, failing to realise F/stop was flashing and the EV.

Thanks again for your kind comments please feel free to say things about the ones that are not as good.

Paul

picsel

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
The first ones are maybe a bit soft, that's why the last looks so good, and is easily the best. Great image!

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It was the first time I sat down and took shots of bumble bees, they were on both the Foxglove and the Sunbelievable flowers and they were not far apart. So it was a test for me on the bees moving around so quickly, and hiding inside the flowers getting the pollen, to coming out and moving on.

I got lots of shots of half a bee, so was well chuffed when I got a full bee, but my thoughts were more on the bees movement at that stage and can I get it in the narrow dof. All good fun and good learning but also the reason they are a bit soft.

To be honest I listed the two foxgloves first and posted them, I was going to add the sunbelievable as a separate post but edited the original post and added it there. Now I realise it would have been better on its own.

The bee in the second image was my first attempt with a radial filter.

Thanks again for your comments

Paul

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice shots. The last one is my favorite since the colors of the flower match the colors on the bee.

Isac

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Very vivid indeed - those colours are superb. Sharp enough for me, but I'm easily pleased.

Paul-UK

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Image 1, I didn't particularly like the bokeh on the left, I struggled in LR reducing the background, but I did bring up the bell flowers a little to form a contrast and draw the eye to the flowers, not the bee going into the flower. It looks like it is waving.

Image 2, is from what I see much better, I got a full bumble bee, the focus is on the bee, could have been a little deeper DOF to sharpen up in the bell flower but, ay ho, an improvement, I think.

The biggest issue, to me, is the WM, but it is something I am working on with a little help.
[Self-critic] that said I also listen to you guys; you are more experienced and I can and do miss something. Frequently.

The biggest issue, I seem to have at present, that I usually remember when putting the photos on the laptop is...
1 shoot - 2 zoom in to view - 3 check histogram

I always remember the first one but am too busy thinking about the shot and settings that I forget the next two.

Paul

Mj224

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Super set, the last one is classic...:))