• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

When you just do not feel like it...

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That is how I have felt since getting back from vacation. In my second week now. I do not even feel like working on photos I took while on vacation. I have taken a look, but I am just not getting good end results that I hoped to get. I am sure it is just me and I am also my own harshest critic. I will get something to post soon.

I know we all go through this sort of thing, just sharing to remind ourselves.

Anyone recently get stuck like this and found a god way to get over it? Let's share.

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That is how I have felt since getting back from vacation. In my second week now. I do not even feel like working on photos I took while on vacation. I have taken a look, but I am just not getting good end results that I hoped to get. I am sure it is just me and I am also my own harshest critic. I will get something to post soon.

I know we all go through this sort of thing, just sharing to remind ourselves.

Anyone recently get stuck like this and found a god way to get over it? Let's share.
Don I feel you Bro! On my recent waterfall trip my photos were mediocre, considering my equipment, tripod and knowledge. I've put it down to being out of practice since the lock down.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I often feel like that. I go through phases with different hobbies and regularly loose my mojo for one of the other. Windsurfing is like that at the moment, from obsessive to almost cannot be bothered. At the moment though, photography is occupying my thoughts but I know that will wane at some point.

I find that I just have to let it go for a bit, forget about it then suddenly one day I will have the urge again and the obsession returns.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Going through that myself at the moment, Don; I find the best way out of it is not to try and get the energy back for the normal but concentrate on something completely different. Currently given one thing or another, and then the restrictions of the virus, a lot of what I usually do is out the window, some of it perhaps until next year and others may be a bit more permanent so I've had a sit down for a few days and had a look what I want to be doing not tomorrow but perhaps this time next year based on what my current situation is.

Snips

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I think we're all different - what got me going again was getting out there with the camera and get practising again, with the emphasis on practise. You can't be good at a musical instrument without practising (or is it practicing?) and I think the same is true of the camera.

I played the piano most days for 40 years or so then stopped about 3 years ago. Tried again one day more recently and, oh it was awful!!!

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
@SeanNeedham pretty much summed up my feelings. I think most of us are suffering varying degrees of depression heightened by COVID. This was supposed to be the year that really expanded on my dramatic studio shots, with several projects in the works for the year. The big one being calendars for a couple FD fund raisers. It takes a lot of planning to set up, shoot, and finish a project like this, having to shelve it midstream, is real downer. Then I had a series with a young model on a motorcycle, that had to be delayed because it's a location shoot, and the heat has just been horrendous.

Maybe I'm a little OCPD in that I work better when I organize tasks and complete them in order. COVID has thrown a monkey wrench in that, which makes me hesitant to even think about anything new. I just can't seem to get motivated.

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I go through times like this every few months or so where I just feel like I cant be bothered with one hobbie or another or I feel like the quality of my work is just ekkk. So I end up putting it down for a week or a month or months till the insperation comes back to me and in the mean time i just work on another hobbie. I hate it but some times a switiching of the gears is all i need.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I am really not liking many of my results lately. I am just not able to get anything to look "good"

Mountain Mamma

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
We are our own worst critics some times. But i know how you feel I hate when i just cant get the resuts from some thing the way I wanted or was hopping.
I am really not liking many of my results lately. I am just not able to get anything to look "good"

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've found it helps to keep things simple, don't take on a major project. I try to think of something fun or a new technique, that I can do with a simple setup, in a short period of time (so it isn't overwhelming). For me preplanning, even a simple shot keeps me on track, it's far easier to change something in my mind before then to change or correct after. I decide before I ever setup what I want from the image (look, lighting, processing, etc.) then I go through the steps I need to produce it. Not deviating from the plan during shooting keeps me focused on point.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I've found it helps to keep things simple, don't take on a major project. I try to think of something fun or a new technique, that I can do with a simple setup, in a short period of time (so it isn't overwhelming). For me preplanning, even a simple shot keeps me on track, it's far easier to change something in my mind before then to change or correct after. I decide before I ever setup what I want from the image (look, lighting, processing, etc.) then I go through the steps I need to produce it. Not deviating from the plan during shooting keeps me focused on point.
I do
The same, sticking with what I know. Often a nice macro shot or some backyard wildlife will kick me in the harris again.

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have always been bad on pre-planning a photo until I am there on site. Lately I think I have been distracted. Most of my photos have been when I stop out on my bike. Getting into better shape I have been riding, often twice a day, every day for a past few weeks. I am not planning photos at all, until I see something that may work. Not much is really working.

Southern Gent

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have always been bad on pre-planning a photo until I am there on site. Lately I think I have been distracted. Most of my photos have been when I stop out on my bike. Getting into better shape I have been riding, often twice a day, every day for a past few weeks. I am not planning photos at all, until I see something that may work. Not much is really working.
Think of it this way Don, if you grab your camera to click a shot because something just caught your eye, then you need to critique it for what it is. No one really expects to capture a masterpiece of the kids opening presents on Christmas morning, its a snapshot, a moment to remember. Now if you were fortunate to capture a photo of Big Foot while riding on your bike, would it really matter how "good" it was so long as you could tell it was the infamous beast?

If on the other hand you set out to create something, then yes you need to plan. They call it the "Six P's" and it applies to most anything in life for which you want to excel.

Minor Problem

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I'm there too Don, we've been travelling for the best part if three months and because we aren't where I wanted to be and we're stuck in the UK it has really affected my mojo and I've only got about 4 images that I'm even partially happy with. I wanted Pyrenees and Dolomites and I'm just not where I hoped to be so my enthusiasm isn't great and the results aren't as good as I want because the subject matter isn't what I wanted.

SeanNeedham

Ol' Sparky
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Those mountains aren't going anywhere... I've been following your little journey on the other channels and whilst you may think that there's only 4 good ones, from where I'm sat there's quite a few more.

I'm still sat on my behind doing not a lot, though I have restored the mother-in-law's wedding album, as the hospital is four weeks overdue on a post surgery followup and instead of fixing bits, things have got worse. It's given me a bit of time to think about other things, been talking to Jim about them a bit but until I know if I'm going to be able to walk in the near future, I'm not dropping any beans yet on hardware. Still, though, I've things on the go; it's given me chance to rebuild my lightning stuff from ground up (redesigned the controllers, and I've a different camera in the rig) and also working through building an NPF controller for astro stuff.

Beav1964

Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I try not to take myself to seriously. I ask myself, is it a feeling or is a fact? I don't look at my images for at least a couple weeks, sometimes months (gotta love film). There is a skill to looking and self critique. I think we get better over time. I just sent out a bunch of color film to the lab because I got tired of looking at them (normally I do them myself). What a total shocker at what came back, I was very happy with my keeper rate.

I talk myself into ruts, I don't just mysteriously fall into them. My words are very powerful so I have to be careful what's coming out of my mouth. Today I woke up and am thankful for another day. I am looking forward to my work day and how it will enrich my day. I may shoot, I may not. The images will not be a waste, if they're not good, then I believe I can figure out why. I may go back, I may not.