• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

Please be aware when you sign up, we carry out strict IP screening as an anti-spam measure. We confirm if where you say you are from is where your IP address is located. If you sign up using a TOR node, VPN or proxy, you may be subject to rejection at sign up. If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules
  • Reminder for signatures: Please remember only premium members are allowed to display links in their signature
    If you are a non premium member and want to display a link in your signature you will need to upgrade to premium membership.’ 
    Non premium members who are found displaying signatures will have them removed without notice
    Please refer to forum rule 2 about signatures

White Umbrella and Mounting for Tripod...?

the voyager

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Looking to buy a decent white umbrella and possibly a shoot through.
I have a tripod but can't find the correct mounting bracket that will:

1. Fit onto my old tripod (it has horseshoe as it's a lighter cheaper camera tripod)
2. Hold speedlight
3. Hold umbrella

Surly there is such a mount?

DonS

Stuck in Toronto
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Beginner
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
A camera tripod or a light stand? For a light stand should be easy to find. For a camera tripod that might be harder to find, I do not recall ever seeing one. Search Amazon is my suggestion.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
It's a female connection, not a kind of horse shoe..
What do you mean by horseshoe? I have never heard of that term in regards to tripod heads/ connections. Do you need a plate which you attach to the camera, which then mounts to the tripod head?
What tripod is it? or do you have a link to a similar one?

the voyager

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
What do you mean by horseshoe? I have never heard of that term in regards to tripod heads/ connections. Do you need a plate which you attach to the camera, which then mounts to the tripod head?
What tripod is it? or do you have a link to a similar one?
I have a spare older camera tripod, with standard quick release plate with screw for camera. I just thought there may be a way to maybe fix my speedlight and umbrella to that/.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
I have a spare older camera tripod, with standard quick release plate with screw for camera. I just thought there may be a way to maybe fix my speedlight and umbrella to that/.
Ahh OK, You want something like this which will attach to the QR plate/ tripod. This will let you attach something like Phill has linked to or one of these which I would recommend as it points the flash a bit more centrally in the umbrella and has a lot of flexibility for future light modifiers with its Bowens mount.

the voyager

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Ahh OK, You want something like this which will attach to the QR plate/ tripod. This will let you attach something like Phill has linked to or one of these which I would recommend as it points the flash a bit more centrally in the umbrella and has a lot of flexibility for future light modifiers with its Bowens mount.
All this messing might be easier to just buy a light stand :grin:

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
All this messing might be easier to just buy a light stand
You would still need the umbrella/ speedlight head for the stand, the adapter I linked to is very straight forward and only £3.

Phill104

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
All this messing might be easier to just buy a light stand :grin:
Which is what I was suggesting. They are so cheap. You can get an adapter that screws on a standard tripod mount to convert it to standard fittings, but they cost about the same as a light stand.

the voyager

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
You would still need the umbrella/ speedlight head for the stand, the adapter I linked to is very straight forward and only £3.
The Godox S2 bracket is interesting. I was looking at the AD200 as a second speedlight with obvious more UMPH... What's with the larger front plate / face? Are there Godox or any modifyers that attach to that large plate?

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Are there Godox or any modifyers that attach to that large plate?
Hundreds, that is the Bowens mount. Google Bowens s-mount light modifiers for an idea of what's available. That S2 bracket can mount anything from a standard speed light up to a studio flash and a lot in between.

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Super Moderator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
On a side note I think this thread will be better placed in the Studio Lighting section of the forum so I am going to go ahead and move it there.

the voyager

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
Hundreds, that is the Bowens mount. Google Bowens s-mount light modifiers for an idea of what's available. That S2 bracket can mount anything from a standard speed light up to a studio flash and a lot in between.
I have been shooting since 1999 (Minolta x300) and just sort of employ a beginners mind attitude but I am definitely at the level now where I need / want to start getting serious with things. So great to get up to scratch with things. Thanks for info :)