1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Why Zooming with Your Feet is NOT the Same as Zooming with a Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Tips, Tricks & Tutorials Forum' started by Mike Singh, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
  2. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good video. Zooms have their place in photography, but primes are better when possible

Mike Singh likes this.
  3. lundrog

lundrog Active Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    They make zoom lenses? Huh...

4. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    good demo of that

5. hooferinsane

hooferinsane EXIF Seeker Super Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    That's a good video to watch

6. rebel06

rebel06 Without a cause Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Well explained video.....

7. slipper

slipper Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Things you don't think about, but so true.

Mike Singh likes this.
  8. Mike Singh

Mike Singh Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I have looked at the video a few times now and have been rehearsing the maneuvers on my mind just to understand it.

9. adamyoung90

adamyoung90 Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Ditto... Good video

10. Agiledogs

Agiledogs Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    The foot zoom is much more exhausting........:)

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    and often far more dangerous...

12. steve b

steve b Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    So simple, so effective, will I remember? Probably not until I've finished shooting :)

Mike Singh likes this.
  13. MikeB

MikeB Always on Premium Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Good video. This is why many photography schools prefer to work with prime lenses initially as managing perspective is one of the fundamental practices of photography. Zoom lenses are convenient but they tend to make perspective a secondary consideration - if it is considered at all. There has been arguments for years whether zoom lenses make photographers lazy. While there may be something to it, I think zoom lenses just make capturing an image easier with little consideration of how perspective plays a role in the composition.

Find your best focal length on your zoom and stick with it and only use the zoom when moving is not possible.

14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Old Hand

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Perhaps zoom lenses make some ignore perspective, but I don't see that primes would be any better, as they limit you to discrete steps. Prime lens advocates often claim you can zoom with your feet, but that only works when all your image is the the same distance away (& approachable).

As the video effectively shows perspective is simply down to relative distances. If you move 2' closer to something 4' away it's only half the distance & appears twice the size. Meanwhile this 2' movement has little effect on the background that was 500' away (it now appears about 0.4% bigger)