• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Wintering in Yellowstone

Renee Lund

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
It's the most stunning time of the year to visit one of our amazing National Parks. Winter in Yellowstone is truly a winter wonderland but with unexpected weather events that can sneak up on you in a blink of an eye. You witness how the wildlife survive that call this park home. There's a hush in the cold crisp air with all ears listening for their next meal. It's much easier to see wildlife except for bears than in any other season due to the contrast of their color to the snow. Only the upper portion of the park is open all year round. The road from Mammoth Hot Springs to Cooke City remains open for those that live in Cooke City as it's the only road in and out of that area with others closed by snow. We tend to make our trips the first week of Feb and have never been disappointed with each year being very different. Here are 10 sample shots from my collection to show you some of the beauty that lives in winter at Yellowstone NP. Enjoy.

In winter all turns to Silver and Gold in Mammoth.
Silver and Gold.jpg

Even the magpie's love to soak in the hot springs.
palette spring lower terrace.jpg

The chapel of 1913 in Yellowstone National Park (Fort Yellowstone) was the last existing building completed during the army era. Built of native stone with a slate roof and oak furnishings, it is still used today and is the best preserved building at the fort inside and out.
the chapel 1913.jpg

One of the amazing storybook boardwalks in the upper terrace of Mammoth.
Upper Terrace in Winter.jpg

The winter coats the American Bison have come in handy to survive extreme storms.
American Bison Yellowstone NP.jpg

Prong Horn Antelope with their stunning camouflage.
yellowstone prong horns.jpg

Epic find around every corner. Watching these 4 Bighorn Sheep Ram scale the rock walls in blizzard conditions.
bighorn rams of yellowstone.jpg

The coyote is always listening for his next meal that is just under the snow. As you can see by his blood stained neck he's had one meal already today.
yellowstone np coyote.jpg

The opportunist that finds survival off other's leftovers.
yellowstone coyote.jpg

The Historic North Entrance Arch.
yellowstone np arch.jpg

rebel06

Taking it easy.
Honorary Life Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
wow, these are stunning.

Piquet

Old Hand
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Very good set

RyanB

Eye of the Tiger
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Brilliant set Renee, what a wonderful selection of wildlife and stunning landscapes. Definitely on my bucket list although maybe not in winter. :)

Mj224

Always on
Premium Member
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Lovely set of photos there. The animals are well adapted..:)

Roger S

Crazy Canuck
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Fantastic set, Renee.

SFTphotography

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
That bison shot is one of the best wildlife shots ever taken. Love it

Renee Lund

Here a lot
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
No
wow, these are stunning.
Thanks so much! It's really a different world in winter. It's very different shooting in some of those types of subzero temps of -25F.

Very good set
Thanks! It was a challenge to stand upright at times. It's very different shooting in some of those types of subzero temps of -25F.

Brilliant set Renee, what a wonderful selection of wildlife and stunning landscapes. Definitely on my bucket list although maybe not in winter. :)
Thanks! It will be an amazing experience. Spring is really a fantastic time with all the new animal life that folks come to see. The grizzly and black bear cubs. It's very different shooting in some of those types of subzero temps of -25F.

Lovely set of photos there. The animals are well adapted..:)
Thanks! Yes they learn to be the moment they hit the ground. It's very different shooting in some of those types of subzero temps of -25F.

Fantastic set, Renee.
Thanks! It's very different shooting in some of those types of subzero temps of -25F.

That bison shot is one of the best wildlife shots ever taken. Love it
Thanks so much! It was crazy they would lay in the same spot for hours and cover with show. It's very different shooting in some of those types of subzero temps of -25F.

David_MC

Always on
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Beautiful shots!

Mike Singh

Always on
Premium Member