• Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
  • PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Yongnuo YN-622C SuperSync Review

Activ8

I made the 1,000,000 th post
Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
youngnuo-trigger-review.jpg

This is just a mini review of a specific function of the YN-622C which allows the trigger to sync with studio strobes at high shutter speeds. If anyone would like to know how I achieved the lighting in the title image above... I will do a little tutorial. I took the triggers to the studio today and in between shoots I though I would set up a little test.

So to make the trigger do supersync all you need to do it attach a sync cable (not supplied) between the studio head and the trigger and select a shutterspeed above 1/250s. So how does it work. Well all the trigger does is fire the strobe just before it opens the shutter. This allows the strobe to reach peak brightness and then allows you to use the strobe as a big torch for the duration of the exposure. If you have fast lights you will loose power in the exposure but slower normally cheaper studio strobes work well. The two drawbacks with this method is that you loose about 3/4 of your studio head power and you cannot meter the exposure as you are just using a part of the flash exposure so getting the lighting right is a bit hit and hope!

So does it work... yes it does but it is no better than HSS with a speedlight except that you have about twice the power of a speedlight in hss mode and that will give you better coverage.

Here are some test images of a little fan with stickers in the centre and on the blades. This little fan spins really fast so it was a good test.

test1.jpg

So this is the fan at rest at my normal studio sync speed of 1/160... the fan is switched off.

test2.jpg

Again at 1/160 but this time the fan is running! It should be noted that the effective shutterspeed here is more like 1/400s as the flash duration is faster that the 1/160s used here.

test3.jpg

This is now in supersync mode at 1/1000

test4.jpg

This is now in supersync mode at 1/2000

test5.jpg

This is now in supersync mode at 1/4000

test6.jpg

This is now in supersync mode at 1/8000 fast enough to freeze the centre but not quite the blades!

test7.jpg

This is a speedlite in HSS mode at 1/8000 to show in movement terms this is identical. The studio strobe as about 1 stop more power than the speedlite at 1/8000 the head used was a 400ws head which is normally 5x more powerful than a speedlite. So you can see the losses in power using this method.

test8.jpg

This last picture was taken with a speedlight at minimum power. The shutter speed was 1/250 my camera's maximum sync speed but this is how flash is normally used. The 580exII used here has a t.1 of around 1/35000s which gives it a virtual shutter speed of 1/12000s which is just enough to freeze the fan blades

So there you go... these cheap triggers work really well with both speedlites and studio strobes... and supersync is nice to have as an option when you need it.

GarryN

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Nice one David!

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Thanks Garry... but you started all this! :)

tenchy

Rain maker
Administrator
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Interesting stuff. One to bank in case I need to use it.

GarryN

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
BTW, forgot to mention that I, for one, would like to see how you lit the 622.

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)

biglee33

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
that is one fast little fan. I honestly thought 1/1000 would have frozen that. glas you tested it as id have sent them back lol

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
that is one fast little fan. I honestly thought 1/1000 would have frozen that. glas you tested it as id have sent them back lol
You need to stop movement by 1/10th of a millimetre for crisp lines at 300dpi although you can get away with 1/4mm for most purposes. So this little fan is 75mm in diameter and runs at around 1000rpm. This means its tips cover nearly 4m a second! so at 1/8000 you freeze it to 1/2mm and at 1/12000 to around a 1/3rd which is nearly there. Surprising what speed you need!

akilamike

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Beginner
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
Great review David. Guess there are no issues with E-TTL setup using these triggers right? Just wanted to pitch that in as I am also about to buy few of these.

Akila.

Activ8

Photography Experience
Advanced
Photo Editing Experience
Advanced
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
E-ttl seems to work fine... Not checked the exposure values yet to compare but it is easy to compensate for if it is out a bit anyway.

biglee33

Always on
Photography Experience
Intermediate
Photo Editing Experience
Intermediate
Edit my images ?
Yes (recommended)
love the detail you can throw at stuff., awesome