1. Welcome to Photography Forum. Our photography community!

Photography-forum is dedicated to those who have passion, desire and love of photography and want to improve their photographic technique. It doesn't matter what you photograph, landscapes, weddings, portraits or your photographic experience, it's about learning and loving what we do. Photography!

If you want learn and expand your photography skills then there is one place to do it Photography Forum !!!

You are viewing photography-forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most forums and enjoy other features. By joining our free community you will be able to post photographs for critique, join in the monthly photography competitions, respond to polls, upload content and enjoy many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join Photography Forum.

If you have any problems please contact us.

The Photography-Forum Team
    Dismiss Notice
  2. PLEASE SEE RULES BEFORE POSTING LINKS
    Click here to see Forum Rules

Zenfolio questions

Discussion in 'What Works For You & Post Your Website Forum' started by Carmen, May 2, 2015.

1. Carmen

Carmen Forum Geek :) Honorary Life Member

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I set up a trial on Zenfolio last weekend but I have a few questions.

I'm a bit confused. The basic package starts at £30 a year and it offers products from Photobox.. but a cart doesn't kick in until you hit the £140 a year price range. How does that work..?Is that just for you to purchase your own pics not clients?

zem.jpg

I ntice on the more expensive options the prints are fulfilled by different company so I guess that's for sending to clients.

Also is the website hosted in the UK or USA?

A couple of times I had trouble uploading pics as it said it lost connection. That could be annoying does this happen to anyone else who uses it?

2. Ogofmole

Ogofmole Always on Moderator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I know that Edward uses Zenfolio. I have gone down the Weebly route as I find their software easy to use and all my sales down through PayPal.

3. Activ8

Activ8 I made the 1,000,000 th post

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I currently have a zenfolio premium account but I am in the process of moving to my own website hosting (just writing the code) as they have put this up by £100 this year to £240!

If you are looking for a cart solution you need the premium package and if you sell self serviced products you need premium business!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
    D.Sant likes this.
  4. Carmen

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I'm undecided really. I think I need to properly think about what I'm doing with my togging before I go for a paid site. I currently pay nothing for my current website as Jason hosts it for me. It's just really clunky dealing with client galleries. I don't get that many a year though. I need to decied whether to push that harder or not.

Hmm.. not sure I want to do that!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  5. Jenbenjen

Jenbenjen Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I use photobox on there but have a premium account - you can choose as many partners as you want, but PB is good value and their products are good. You can contact support they are pretty good at getting back to you quickly Carmen, but pretty sure Dave is right that to have a cart you need a bigger account

Carmen likes this.
  6. Snips

Snips Always on

Edit my images ?:
    No
    Just seen this, Carmen - I pay £190 a year as they have held the price since I started. £240 is beginning to look a little steep but for me still worth it.

There's a but - I'm in a very different market to you I think. I take photos of people riding their horses (fun rides, point to point races) and they buy 6x4 or 7x5 prints for around £5 or £8. Occasionally I'll sell keyrings or mugs and sometimes digital copies for facebook. It's been quiet recently as I've not done much equine photography but usually I'll sell say 6-12 images a week in busier weeks and sometimes a much more expensive framed print.

I'm soon to start wedding and engagement photography (don't ask LOL!!!) and won't be using the full premium site for that I don't think. It's very different showing a gallery to a couple and family (or a model in your case) and asking them which images they like then supplying an order or print or some sort of product like an album.

This is where Weebly might come in more useful for you.

For me, I'm thinking of another website for weddings. I've not put any thought to it yet but if it's a Zenfolio site I would only go for the £60 a year site. I will want my own domain name and somewhere to display images but all printing, albums, etc done totally separately. It could be that I have a Weebly site instead. I will have no need for a commercial website section as that will be done with different suppliers.

Where does Zenfolio win (for me)? Simple to use and re-design a site, change colours, layout, etc. Easy to upload images and create new galleries and menus. Commerce section with various suppliers. People place orders, I check the photos (and upload a better one if necessary) then some magician prints, posts and does everything and I make about 50% of the order with no paperwork or postal or packing problems. I can also change the prices to make more mark up. Also, images upload/appear quickly and when I'm showing a gallery of 200 images I find this important as most viewers move on if a website is slow - Zenfolio sites are quick to view.

I could go on but do shout if there's anything specific you want to know. :)

spuriosity likes this.
  7. Carmen

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Im going off the idea TBH I rarely do things where I've sold more than a handful of print orders, and I think it's too expensive for me at the moment.

I'm happy with the website I'm using but it would be good if there was a site that could handle the print orders as mine is very manual. Does Weebly do that?

At present I can upload a gallery from Lightroom using the client response gallery plugin, This creates a gallery that has client response capabilities so they can check the pics they want and it sends me an email. But it's very confusing for people as they don't realise they can comment on the image to add options etc. I also have to manually create invoices etc so the process is long winded.

A few years ago I used to use a Photobox Pro gallery which handles print orders but I hate that site it's really clunky and difficult to navigate, and despite a discussion forum full of suggestions for improvement nothing has changed on it, so I stopped using it quite some time ago.

8. D.Sant

D.Sant Always on

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    Guys... I guess many of you are thinking about those places for the lack of knowledge or lack of time to make and maintain your own website hosted privately but, really it is much cheaper and works the same. First and if you don't have the knowledge contact someone that does, there is a lot of people doing it, once done you pay for their work then, an agreement to maintain it updated and so on for a moderated fee. I have a few friends doing this for a few restaurants and little business, they don't charge much and it works flawlessly for both parties. You all may have friends like that. These options you are posting are way too expensive for what it is... A simple NAS like Synology which offers options to host your own website with 2x 3TB disk in mirrored raid for back up safety and a lot of other options, like your personal cloud, etc... And you will be saving a lot of money!

Ramble Vision likes this.
  9. Carmen

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I do actually already have my own hosted website that I built myself using WordPress. But I was looking at Zenfolio to automate the payment and printing process for my customers which at the moment is cumbersome and manual. But decided against zenfolio for now.

10. photodiva

photodiva Here a lot

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    I use Zenfolio and for some reason chose the US version, which is cheaper. I have the Premium and it works just fine for me. Love it to bits. Use my referral code if you want a discount E8E-T4N-JSZ
    http://photodiva.zenfolio.com/

11. tenchy

tenchy Rain maker Administrator

Edit my images ?:
    Yes (recommended)
    with your coding prowess and general geekiness why don't you just get a hosting package and do a wordpress site?